This page conforms to the XHTML standard and uses style sheets. If your browser doesn't support these, you may not see the page as designed, but all the text is still accessible to you.

SCHENECTADY DIGITAL HISTORY ARCHIVE

Bringing the heritage of Schenectady County, New York to the world since 1996

You are here: Home » Families » HMGFM Home » Progenitors: C

Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs:
Historical Appendix: Progenitors C

Index to All Families | Index to Families by County: Albany, Columbia, Fulton, Greene, Montgomery, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Warren, Washington

Go to previous: Progenitors: B | next: Progenitors: D

Progenitors: A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | V | W | Y

[This information is from Vol. IV, pp. xvi-xviii of Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs, edited by Cuyler Reynolds (New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1911). It is in the Reference collection of the Schenectady County Public Library at R 929.1 R45. Some of the formatting of the original, especially in lists of descendants, may have been altered slightly for ease of reading.]

Cambefort

———— (or Comfort), had removed to Schenectadv in 1690, buying land at Hoffman's Ferry, which he sold in 1694 to Carel Hansen Toll.

Carstensen

Hendrick, came from Norden, East Friesland, sailing on "d' Eendracht" ("The Unity"), May, 1634; served at Rensselaerswyck as farmer under Brant Peelen for seven years. Carsten Carstensen (or Christen Christens) arrived on "Arms of Rensselaerswyck" at New Amsterdam, March 4, 1637; first recorded at Rensselaerswyck, Apr. 17, 1637; sawyer and roof-thatcher. Johan Carstensen, came from Barlt, Schleswig-Holstein, Prussia, arriving on "den Houttuyn," at New Amsterdam, Aug. 4, 1642, and drew wages in Rensselaerswyck beginning Aug. 13, 1642 appears as servant of Michiel Jansen, July, 1644.

Chambers

Thomas, a carpenter, first recorded at Rensselaerswyck in 1646, as a mason; occupied farm on the Poesten kill (Troy, N. Y.), for five years from Nov. 1, 1647: then removed to Esopus: nicknamed Clabbordt, or Clapboard.

Christiaasen

Christian, bought a morgen and half of land at Schenectady from Paulus Janse in 1671, and sold it in 1694.

Claerbout

Pieter, was in Beverwyck in 1659, where he was "voorzanger" in the church, and died before 1674.

Claesen

Claes, came from Fleckero, Norway, arriving at New Amsterdam aboard "d' Eendracht" ("The Unity"), 1631, and was a farm-hand on De Laets Is., opposite Albany, Gysbert Claesen, of Claes, also known as Gysbert Claes Jongen, "the boy," a carpenter, arrived on "Arms of Rensselaerswyck" at New Amsterdam, March 4, 1637; wages first recorded at Rensselaerswyck, Apr. 2, 1637. Pieter Claes (or Niclaes) came from Norden, East Friesland, on same ship, beginning service at Rensselaerswyck Apr. 3. 1637; farmer at Bethlehem, Albany county; left colony before June 5, 1649. Tjerck Claes was recorded at Rensselaerswyck for horse hire beginning May 1, 1657. Tryntie Claes was servant girl of Director Jan Baptist Van Rensselaer, 1656.

Clauw

Frans Pieterse (Klauw), was a carpenter in Beverwyck as early as 1656, and resided in Kinderhook in 1683.

Clock

[Photo of Elwood Clock House]

Abraham, carpenter, recorded at Rensselaerswyck in 1644.

Clute

Capt. Johannes, came from Nuremberg to Beverwyck, about 1656, and was a trader, owning much land at Niskayuna, Loonenberg and Albany. He also spelled his name Cloet. That he had children is unknown. On his death, his property passed to his nephew, Johannes Clute, the "boslooper." This nephew resided in Niskayuna, and married Bata Van Slechtenhorst. Frederick Clute came up the river from Kingston, about 1703; bought land at Niskayuna from Johannes, and was at Half Moon, N. Y., in 1720. Their relationship is unsettled.

Cobes

Ludovicus, was born in Herentals, Brabant, and was court messenger in Beverwyck as early as 1656.

Coeymans

Pieter (also spelled Koijemans), came from Utrecht, Holland, with his four sons, Arent, Barent, Jacob and Lucas, and (according to Pearson) was at Rensselaerswyck in 1636. According to the V. R.-Bowier Documents, Barent Pieterse Coeymans came on "den Harinck" ("The Herring"), arriving at New Amsterdam, July 7, 1639; recorded at Rensselaerswyck, Aug. 14, 1639: worked four years under Pieter Cornelis, the millwright; contracted, Oct., 1645, to saw the boards at the Patroon's mill on the 5th creek; leased it May 18, 1648; granted permit Aug. 3, 1656, to erect a third mill thereon; was known as Barent de Molenaer; settled, probably after latter date, on the large tract now known as village of Coeymans, which he claimed to have bought from the Catskill Indians and which Van Rensselaer disputed; but quit-claimed to Coeymans by him in 1706, which patent was confirmed by Queen Anne, Aug. 6, 1714. Lucas Pieterse Coeymans was mentioned in Rensselaerswyck court proceedings, January, 1650, and styled brother of Barent Pieterse Coeymans.

Collier

Michiel (or Caillier), son of Jochem Collier, or Caillier, of New Amsterdam, was born about 1657; married Fitje Jurriaense Van Hoesen, and some of their children (born between July 17, 1686, and Dec. 6, 1711) were baptised at Albany.

Collins

Lieut. John. was both an officer and an attorney at Albany, and married Margarita Schuyler there, Nov. 2, 1701.

Coneel

John (or Conel), was a soldier at Albany in 1666, and bought land from Capt. Johannes Clute and Harmen Gansevoort at Catskill, about 1678.

Coningh

Thomas, was in Rensselaerswyck before October, 1647; sold brewhouse, Feb. 19, 1655. Frank Jacobsen Coningh rented a garden from Adriaen Janse Appel at Rensselaerswyck, May 1, 1658.

Conyn

Leendert (Leonard) Philipse, was in Beverwyck as early as 1655.

Constable

Andries Herbertse (Constapel), this surname being his alias (meaning "the gunner"), came from Blaes, Holland, on "den Houttuyn," arriving at New Amsterdam, Aug. 4, 1642, where he remained until 1654, when he removed to Beverwyck, where he purchased half of the island given his name, opposite Fort Orange, which, after his death in 1662, was sold to Jeremias Van Ressse1aer; was engaged first at Rensselaerswyck to do gardening, cut timber, build fences and work in grist-mill; killed Segar Cornelis Van Voorhout in self-defense in 1662.

Cool

Pieter Barentse, married in Albany in 1688.

Coorn

Nicolaas, Prof. Pearson may have reason to state that he was in Rensselaerswyck in 1642; but the Van Rensselaer-Bowie Documents set forth the facts that he came from Holland on "Arms of Rensselaerswyck," arriving at New Amsterdam in March, 1644, having been commissioned by Patroon Kiliaen Van Rensselaer, Aug. 26, 1643, at Amsterdam, as commander and "commis" on Rensselaerssteyn (also called "Castle") on Beeren Island, fortified as the southern limit in the Hudson river of Van Rensselaer's colony, and because of dispute with Director Pieter Stuyvesant, of the Dutch West India Co., fired on the ship "Good Hope," July 1, 1644, because Skipper Govert Loockermans on sailing to New Amsterdam failed to lower his colors to Van Rensselaer's fort; succeeded Adriaen Van der Donck as "schout" of Rensselaerswyck in spring or summer of 1646, until arrival of Van Slechtenhorst, March 22, 1648.

Cornelis

Adriaen, came from Barsingerhorn, No. Holland, sailing from the Texel on "het Wapen van Noorwegen," arriving at New Amsterdam, Aug. 4, 1638; recorded as foreman at Rensselaerswyck, May 10, 1638, and also referred to as Berghoorn and Van Barsingerwout. Jan Cornelis came from Houten, near Utrecht, sailing from the Texel on "den Waterhondt," June, 1640; recorded at Rensselaerswyck, September, 1640. Cryn (or Quiryn) Cornelis came from Houten, on "Arms of Rensselaerswyck," arriving at New Amsterdam, March 4, 1637; recorded at Rensselaerswyck, Apr. 20, 1639, as farm-hand in Greenbush, opposite Albany; permitted to erect saw-mill on west side of the Hudson, north of Beeren Is. Roelof Cornelis, a brother, came with him, and was a thatcher. Pieter Cornelis came from Munnickendam, No. Holland, on same ship, and being millwright under contract with the Patroon, was known by surname "Meulenmaecker"; recorded in colony May 4, 1637.

Coster

Hendrick (also Costar and Koster), died at Albany, 1678, and his son, Anthony, a baker, married Elizabeth Ten Broeck, Dec. 15, 1698.

Creeve

Tam (Thomas), had a daughter, Neeltje, baptised at Albany, June 28, 1684.

Cregier

Martyn, Jr. (Cruger), son of Capt. Martyn Cregier (1st Burgomaster of New Amsterdam and an exemplary magistrate who removed to Niskayuna where he died in 1713), was a public clerk at New Amsterdam, 1646-61; removed to Albany, about 1685, where he owned lot on east side of No. Pearl, south of Steuben st.; married at Albany, Oct. 11, 1671, Jannetje Hendrickse Van Doesburgh, a widow.

Cromwell

Jacobus (James), had removed from Beverwyck to Schenectady, where he married Maria Philipse, Sept. 26, 1703.

Croon

Dirck Janse, came from Amsterdam; carpenter; erected a house at Beverwyck in 1650; appointed magistrate there, in 1655 and in 1658; superintendent of wells in 1660.

Cruyf

Eldert Gerbertse (Cruijff or Kruyf), from Hilversum, in Gooiland, No. Holland, also known as Eldert de Goijer (or Goyer), on account of coming from there; rented more than one sawmill at Rensselaerswyck, 1654-1658; leased Pieter Winne's farm, May 1, 1655, for three years; rented mill (probably at Bethlehem), 1658-1671, and Jan Dircksen, from Bremen, conveyed his Catskill farm to him, Feb. 20, 1659, for house in Beverwyck.

Crynen

Cornelis, Jr. (Crijnen), came from Houten, near Utrecht, sailing on "den Waterhondt," June, 1640; a mason; constructed cellar of Dominie Megapolensis' house at Rensselaerswyck. Jan Crynen came from same place at same time; entered service of Symon Walichs at Rensselaerswyck, and probably was son of former.

Cuyler

Hendrick, born at Hasselt, Province of Overyssel, Holland, where he was baptised Aug. 11, 1637; son of Isebrant and Evertien Cuyler; settled in Beverwyck in 1664; a tailor and trader; the name derived from "Keiler," a wild boar, and signifying a powerful man.

Cuyper

Gerrit Janse, arriving originally as "Gerrit Jans," came from Haerlem, sailing on "den Waterhondt," June, 1640; was a cooper, hence was given surname "Cuyper" or "Kuijper." Evert Janse Cuyper was in Albany, 1675-1725.

Go to top of page | previous: Progenitors: B | next: Progenitors: D

You are here: Home » Families » HMGFM Home » Progenitors: C

http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/families/hmgfm/progenitors_c.html updated July 30, 2009

Copyright 2009 Schenectady Digital History Archive — a service of the Schenectady County Public Library