This page conforms to the XHTML standard and uses style sheets. If your browser doesn't support these, you may not see the page as designed, but all the text is still accessible to you.

SCHENECTADY DIGITAL HISTORY ARCHIVE

Bringing the heritage of Schenectady County, New York to the world since 1996

You are here: Home » Families » Schermerhorn Genealogy » Schermerhorn Chronicles » Chapter V (Part 4 of 4)

Schermerhorn Genealogy and Family Chronicles:
Chapter V: Descendants of Cornelius Jacobse Schermerhorn (Part 4 of 4)

Go back to: part 3 of Chapter 5 | ahead to: Chapter 6

[This information is from pp. 363-389 of Schermerhorn Genealogy and Family Chronicles by Richard Schermerhorn, Jr. (New York: Tobias A. Wright, Publisher, 1914).]

Seventh Generation

307

FREDERICK, son of (286) John Schermerhorn and Sarah Barringer; b. Nov. 16, 1816; d. Nov. 30, 1892; m. Nov. 14, 1844, LYDIA ANN FULLER; b. Feb. 13, 1824, in Eastkill, Greene County; d. Dec. 10, 1896.

Children:

Frederick Schermerhorn was born in the homestead of his father and grandfather at Round Top. He attended the district school until about 18 years of age. He pursued a variety of occupations for the ensuing 15 years and at the end of this time, having acquired a snug little capital, he embarked into the business of buying and selling cattle, in which business he was eminently successful. From his obituary is quoted as follows: "He was a man of more than average ability, a keen observer of events, constitutionally sportive, kind-hearted and social. He was very companionable and a certain playfulness shed around him a bland and pleasing influence." Both he and his wife were devoted members of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Cairo, and both lived to a good age.

Oliver T. Schermerhorn was born at Cairo, Greene Co., N. Y. His interests as a citizen were largely identified with the town and his past is part of its history. Born, educated and reared to manhood in Cairo Village, he is remembered as one of the young men of his time whose example was worthy of emulation. His first business experience was with his father in buying and selling large flocks of sheep, and for a short time he was employed in Lord & Taylor's drygoods store in New York City. Then returning to Cairo, he became a merchant in his home town. While a merchant he was very active in public affairs, and among other offices held those of Secretary of the Greene Co. Agricultural Society and of the Cairo Fire Insurance Co. For several years he was a highly esteemed Justice of the Peace, who succeeded by sound advice in settling much litigation out of court. He subsequently moved again to New York City with his family, where his wife died and where he spent his last days, although he was removed back to Cairo just before his death.

Marguerite V. C. Schermerhorn was born in Cairo, N. Y., and educated at the Cairo schools, from which she was graduated in 1895. She was also graduated from Oberlin College, Ohio, and was an Art Student at Cooper Union, New York City, and a copyist at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Estella P. Schermerhorn was also graduated from the Cairo schools and subsequently made a special study of music. Soon after her marriage it was necessary on account of her husband's health that they seek other climates. In 1908 they moved to Colorado, where they hoped that the climate would eventually prove a restorer and Mr. Olmsted regain his health. But it was of no avail. After her husband's death Mrs. Olmsted returned to Cairo, where she now resides with her son, Richard Calvin Olmsted.

DeWitt W. Schermerhorn was educated at Cairo and New York City schools. He was graduated from the Brooklyn College of Pharmacy in 1904.

Albert C. Schermerhorn, second son of Frederick Schermerhorn, was educated at the Cairo schools and was clerk in his brother Oliver's store for a few years. In April, 1904, he opened a Feed and Grain Store at Schermerhorn Place, Cairo.

Miss Della Schermerhorn, only daughter of Frederick and Lydia A. Fuller Schermerhorn, still resides in Cairo, at Schermerhorn Place. She is a teacher of music and church organist. It is she who has gathered together the interesting items of history and biography of this family of Schermerhorns, which have helped to lend a more personal interest to what otherwise might have been a dreary collection of facts and figures. The conclusion of her narrative can best be expressed in her own words and with her own selection of accompanying verse.

"The fire burns brightly on the hearth, for 'tis winter time and the New Year is fast approaching. In this quiet hour, this little poem comes to me:

Upon the Threshold

Once more I stand with half reluctant feet
Upon the threshold of another year;
That line where Past and Present seem to meet
In stronger contrast than can be elsewhere.

Look back a moment, does the prospect please,
Or does the weary heart but sigh regret?
Can Recollection smile, or, ill at ease
With what is past, wish only to forget?

Say, canst thou smile when memory's lingering gaze
Once more recalls the dying Year to sight?
Wouldst thou live o'er again those changing days,
Or bid them fade forever into night?

A solemn question and the faltering heart
Scarce dare say "Yes," yet will not quite say "No,"
For joy and sadness both have played their part
In making up the tale of long ago.

Here memory sees the golden sunlight gleam
Across the path of life and shine awhile,
And now the picture changes like a dream,
And sorrow dims the eyes and kills the smile.

So it has gone — where all have gone before,
The moaning wind has sung the dead year's dirge,
Time's waves roll on against, the crumbling shore,
And sinks the worn-out bark beneath the surge.

Here ends the checkered page of prose and verse,
Of shapely words and lines all writ awry;
There they must stand for better or for worse,
So shut the book and bid the Year good-bye.

308

JOHN HENRY, son of (286) John H. Schermerhorn and Sarah Barringer; b. 1818; d. July 19, 1886; m. May 17, 1847, ANNA CHRISTINA HAWVER; b. ————; d. Jan, 15, 1912.

Children:

John H. Schermerhorn lived in Glenco Mills, Columbia County, N. Y., where he was a farmer and proprietor of a sawmill. His wife Anna Christina Hawver, was, as quoted, the "handsomest and brightest young lady in that section."

Newton Schermerhorn was Supervisor of the town of Livingston in 1892-3. He attended Norwich Academy and taught school later for several years. In 1897 he was appointed Steward of the "House of Refuge," Hudson, N. Y., which position he filled for two years. At the time of his death he was connected with a real estate firm in New York City.

309

WILLIAM, son of (286) John Schermerhorn and Sally Barringer; b. 1820; m. 1848, ANNIE MOWER.

William Schermerhorn lived in Malden-on-Hudson, Ulster County, and later at the homestead in Cairo where he died.

May D. Schermerhorn was adopted by Frederick Schermerhorn and wife, Lydia A. Fuller, living in Cairo. Mr. Duncan, her husband, was Manager and Proprietor of "The Rockwood," a well known summer boarding house in Catskill. Their son, George O. L. Duncan, was educated at Syracuse University as a Civil Engineer and is now (1913) located in Newburgh, N. Y., practicing his profession. William, son of Franklin Schermerhorn, is Highway Commissioner of Englewood, N. J.

311

OTIS T., son of (294) Urial W. Schermerhorn and Olive Cahoon; b. Jan. 16, 1825; d. Jan. 10, 1908, in Tarrytown, N. Y.; m. ANGELINA HAVENS. She d. Apr. 23, 1913.

Children:

Otis T. Schermerhorn was born in Antwerp, N. Y., where the family lived for a short while, and spent his early life in Little Falls, Herkimer Co., N. Y. After the death of his father he moved with some of his brothers and mother to Inwood-on-the-Hudson, N. Y., and with his brother Levi D., engaged in the building business, later, after the death of his brother Levi, taking up the hay and feed business.

312

LEVI DEXTER, son of (294) Urial W. Schermerhorn and Olive Cahoon; b. May 28, 1831; d. July 19, 1861; m. SARAH ANN LYON; b. Sept. 11, 1837; d. Feb. 18, 1885.

Children:

Levi D. Schermerhorn and his brother, Otis, were architects and builders at Inwood-on-the-Hudson, N. Y. Some years after the death of Levi D., his wife married Benjamin Beattys, in 1870. The family moved to the 19th Ward, Brooklyn, from Yonkers. Frank M. Schermerhorn attended Public School No. 16. On April 14, 1877, he shipped as apprentice in the New York Pilot Boat No. 9, serving for about a year, when through an accident he was temporarily incapacitated and left the service. He followed the water, off and on, and in 1887 became master and part owner of the Schooner "Rebecca M." in the coasting trade, and also with the Hydrographic Coast Survey. Myron P. Schermerhorn graduated as chief petty officer in the schoolship "St. Mary" in 1906. He entered the employ of the American Hawaiian Steamship Co. as Quartermaster in 1907. At the age of 21, on passing the required examination, he received a Second Mate's unlimited license, (steam). The company appointed him Third Mate of the steamer "American" of their line, and he has since been advanced to Chief Officer and has received his Master's license.

314

[Photo: original size (6K) | 4x enlarged (20K)] ISAAC MANTZ, son of (295) John V. R. Schermerhorn and Amia Mantz; b. Feb. 5, 1821, in Geneva, N. Y.; d. Dec. 18, 1892; m. (1) July, 1843, MARIA BARCLAY; b. 1822, in Geneva; d. Apr. 7, 1856, in Buffalo; m. (2) Mch. 10, 1858, in Buffalo, MRS. KATE SWART.

Children:

Isaac Mantz Schermerhorn was Postmaster in Buffalo, N. Y., for about ten years, in the 60s and 70s. At the same time he was General Freight Agent for the North Central Railway in Buffalo. He was always prominent in New York State politics and was an intimate friend of Roscoe Conkling and other well known men of the day. He was one of the organizers and the first President of the Union League of America during Civil War times. In the possession of his daughter, Maria C., is a highly prized autograph letter from Abraham Lincoln and a bundle of his letters from Conkling, Horace Greeley and others. He was educated at Geneva College, now Hobart.

Emeline Parish Schermerhorn was married to Charles D. Heartwell, and their two daughters, Julia Maria and Emeline Schermerhorn were married to Ernest L. Payne and Earl Neilson respectively. These two families live at Huntington Beach, California. Maria C. Schermerhorn resides at Berkeley, Cal.

315

MAJ. JOHN HENRY, son of (295) John V. R. Schermerhorn and Amia C. Mantz; b. Dec. 1, 1834; d. Dec. 25, 1877; m. Feb. 1, 1858, ISABELLA MILLER.

Children:

MAJOR JOHN H. SCHERMERHORN

(Obituary in the editorial columns of the Herald, Quincey, Ill., Saturday morning, Dec. 29, 1877.)

Major Schermerhorn was born in Geneva, N. Y., Dec. 1st, 1834, and at an early age applied himself to the study of Civil Engineering, in which department he acquired ultimately an enviable reputation. His first experience was on the Albany and Susquehanna Railroad, where he was engaged when a mere boy. From there he went to the Williamsport and Elmira R. R., now part of the Northern Central of Pennsylvania, and on completing his work, an engineering party was formed there to come to Quincey, and take up the survey of the Northern Cross Railroad, now merged in the Chicago, Burlington & Quincey main line.

He came to Quincey in August, 1853, in the capacity of First Assistant Engineer on location and construction of the division between here and Camp Point, being then not 19 years of age. Remaining with the Northern Cross until it was in operation, he next engaged for a brief time with the Hannibal and St. Joseph R. R., and from there went to the Quincey and Toledo, now forming part of the Wabash Line. Shortly after, he was married to the daughter of Edwin G. Miller, Esq., of this city. Major Schermerhorn's next professional service was rendered to the New Orleans, Jackson & Great Northern Line, and he remained South until shortly before the breaking out of the rebellion, when he returned home and accepted an appointment with the rank of Major, under Quartermaster General Wood, of this State. His services in this department occupied him during the greater part of the war. About 1864 he engaged in the commission business in Quincey and remained there until 1869, when a new field of enterprise in the immediate line of his profession, presented itself, and he became Chief Engineer of the Quincey, Missouri & Pacific R. R., to which position were added the duties of General Superintendent at a subsequent period. This project of a line extending across the state of Missouri, through the northern counties, now so widely known and appreciated, was originated by Major Schermerhorn, and from its inception to the time when he turned over the company one of the most thoroughly built roads in the Western country, he gave to it his individual attention, and that ability, energy and persistent labor which were characteristic of the man. The line being completed to Kirksville, and no prospect of its early extension existing, Major Schermerhorn retired from the service of the company in the summer of 1873, and shortly after entered in the Forwarding and Commission business with his brother, F. D. Schermerhorn. The firm suffered a disastrous loss by fire in the winter of 1875, and the business was soon after discontinued by him, Major Schermerhorn making an engagement with Mr. James Jarrett of this city early in the following year. In April, 1877, the subject of our sketch went to the state of Texas, to forward the business interests of Mr. Jarrett in that region, in which he was eminently successful. He returned home for a brief period last summer and had expected to again visit his family and friends during the holidays, but was suddenly taken ill about December 14th with inflammation of the bowels, and died at Sherman, Texas, on the morning of Christmas day. His brother, Mr. F. D. Schermerhorn, reached him before his death took place, ministered to his last wants, and brought home his remains for burial. Those only who were well acquainted with our lost friend, could fully appreciate and understand the sterling qualities of his character. To the outer world he was quiet and reserved, and almost diffident at times, but he had an earnest nature, an active mind, and a strong will, which made him prominent wherever there was work to be done. He was outspoken and independent, and despised any indirect or questionable methods. Uncompromising in all things, he took no pains to conciliate, or curry favor with men of wealth or position, but when tried he was found true and faithful to his trusts, and on long acquaintance, his associates discovered that genial side of his nature which appeared only under the warmth of friendships acquired. Possessed of vast personal energy and full of public spirit, his ambition was to identify himself with all important enterprises, which might contribute to the welfare of the city he had adopted as his home. This feature of his character was conspicuously shown in working to complete the Quincey, Missouri & Pacific R. R project, which was placed on a successful footing, in a great degree, through his untiring and efficient exertion.

Harry M. Schermerhorn, son of John V. R. Schermerhorn, is in the tobacco business in Chicago, where he controls a chain of stores and is highly successful.

316

[Photo of residence: original size (15K) | 4x enlarged (47K)] FRANCIS DWIGHT, son of (295) John V. R. Schermerhorn and Amia C. Mantz; b. Feb. 28, 1836, in Geneva, N. Y.; m. (1) Feb. 8, 1859, MARY E. MARSH; b. Nov. 7, 1838; d. Oct. 1, 1865; m. (2) Jan. 7, 1868, ANNA B. BURNS; b. Sept. 10, 1841.

Children by first wife:

Children by second wife:

Francis D. Schermerhorn was born in Geneva, Ontario County, N. Y. His father's death occurring when he, Francis, was but little over a boy, he was compelled to seek his own living at quite an early age. In November, 1853, he went to Quincey, Ill., where his brother, John H., lived, and was employed on the engineer corps engaged in the location and construction of the Northern Cross Railroad, this road now an important branch of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincey Railroad System. At the termination of this work, in 1856, he was engaged upon similar work on the construction of the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad, which extended through a broad and unsettled prairie. In the Fall of 1856 he returned to Quincey and secured a position of Clerk for the Roadmaster of the Northern Cross R. R., from which position he was promoted to having charge of the ticket office. In 1858 he became bookkeeper in the Quincey Savings Bank, now First National, and in 1863 resigned from this position and opened a General Commission and Grain business, his brother, John H., joining him in 1864. This business was continued until 1875, when their warehouses and contents were destroyed by fire, causing a severe financial loss.

In 1866, Francis D. Schermerhorn was appointed General Agent for the Merchant's Despatch (fast freight line) with headquarters in Indianapolis, Ind., and in 1868 he resigned this position to accept that of General Agent of the Toledo, Wabash & Western Railroad at Quincey, Ill. In 1871 he was engaged as Contract Agent for the Chicago, Burlington & Quincey R. R., and Merchant's Despatch, and Agent for the St. Louis & Keokuk Ticket Company. with headquarters in Quincey. In 1872 he was elected Harbor Master of Quincey and appointed General Freight and Ticket Agent of the Quincey, Missouri & Pacific R. R.

In 1875 he was commissioned by President U. S. Grant as Surveyor of the Port at Quincey. In 1877 he was appointed General Superintendent and General Freight and Ticket Agent of the Quincey, Missouri & Pacific R. R., and in 1880, the road becoming by lease a part of the Wabash Ry. System, he was appointed Division Superintendent and Freight Agent, with headquarters at Quincey. He occupied this position with the Wabash Ry. and its successors until May 1st, 1889. For the most part of the remaining years, Francis D. Schermerhorn has not been much in active business. As he states in a recent letter, "this leisure time has been mostly employed and enjoyed about my home, its garden and chickens, with many outings at fishing, and the latter sport I surely enjoy."

Augustus D. Schermerhorn is Superintendent of a division of the Union Pacific Railway at Omaha, Neb. His brother, Francis D., is Asst. Superintendent at Grand Island, Neb. Mrs. Calkins has two children, Helen and Ruth, and Mrs. Smith has four children, Leonard I., Serena, Jack O., and Shela.

317

MARY SANFORD DWIGHT, dau. of (296) Henry V. R. Schermerhorn and Hannah B. Dwight; b. Aug. 14, 1827; d Dec. 23, 1893; m. Sept. 6, 1848, SAMUEL BOWLES, JR., b. Feb. 9, 1826; d. Jan. 16, 1878; son of Samuel Bowles.

Children:

Samuel Bowles, Jr., became a partner with his father in the management of the Springfield Republican in 1849 and was sole manager after 1850. For over 31 years he edited this newspaper with such splendid ability that it ranked with the highest in American journalism. His advice was sought by the National leaders during the crisis of the Civil War, while his influence with the people was a powerful assistance to the Government. He was never hampered by fear or friendship but was always guided by inflexible ideas of honor and patriotism. — (Bowles Genealogy). In 1865 he went with Hon. Schuyler Colfax by stage across the continent, from Missouri River to California, before there was any connecting link, as now, between the two outlying coasts of our continent. The summer of '68 he spent in Colorado, and in '69 went overland again to California and also to Oregon, but this time making the grand tour by means of steam. These journeyings westward he has described in various volumes, as Across the Continent (1866) which had a sale of 15,000 copies, The Switzerland of America, Colorado, Its Parks and Mountains (1868) which had a sale of 8,000 copies, and Our New West (1869), which had a sale of 28,000 copies. — (Dwight Genealogy).

Samuel Bowles, son of the above, was educated in Springfield schools and in Germany, and attended Yale College, taking there a special course of two years, which ended in 1873. 1n 1879, Amherst College conveyed to him the degree of A. M. Since the death of his father he has conducted the Republican with much ability. — (Bowles Genealogy).

Thomas Hooker, husband of Sarah Augusta Bowles is President of the 1st National Bank of New Haven, Ct. William H. Baldwin, Jr., husband of Ruth Standish Bowles, was President of the Long Island Railroad for a considerable term of years.

318

HENRY JAMES DWIGHT, son of (296) Henry V. R. Schermerhorn and Hannah B. Dwight; b. Sept. 1, 1829, in Geneva, N. Y.; d. May 31, 1892; m. (1) Nov. 21, 1855, CORNELIA BRAYON IRWIN; b. June 18, 1824; d. Sept. 7, 1864; m. (2) CATHARINE THOMPSON; m. (3) Oct. 16, 1889, JENNIE R. COBB.

Children:

Henry J. D. Schermerhorn settled in Springfield, Mass. when a young man. He eventually became head of the shipping department in the U. S. Armory at Springfield, Mass., which position he held until the time of his death. He first became connected with the Armory in 1861. Henry Van Rensselaer Schermerhorn, his son, is employed in the publishing department of the Springfield Republican, the paper owned and controlled by his cousin, Samuel Bowles. The latter's daughters also reside in Springfield, Mass.

319

JUDAH COLT, son of (297) Morgan L. Schermerhorn and Elizabeth Colt; b. Mch. 15, 1834; d. Mch. 22, 1876; m. (1) July 1, 1856, FRANCES HENRIETTA CLARK; b. Apr., 1833; d. Oct. 15, 1869; m. (2) Jan. 2, 1871, JANE ELIZA MANLOVE.

Children:

Judah Colt Schermerhorn lived in Albany in his early days and was a Civil Engineer by profession. He died in Southern Arizona, in the course of his professional duties. He was 6 ft. 2 in. tall and a very handsome man. His daughters were, in their youth, school teachers. Mrs. Forbes lives in Cleveland, O., and has two children, Russell H. and Myrtle, the former married to Rose Lowrie. Mrs. Paddock also resides in Cleveland and has six children, Ruth F., Edna K., Laura S., Howard C., Frederick and Alice. Mrs. Duniway resides in Portland, Ore., and her children are Robert E., Malcolm S. and Katharine Schermerhorn. Mrs. Speddy resides in Alameda, Cal., and is very active in public affairs. She is President of the Alameda Center of the California Civic League, and is an ardent supporter of Women's Suffrage. She has a son, Kenyon, and daughter, Faith Schermerhorn, the latter a student in Goucher College, Baltimore, Md.

Charles R. Schermerhorn resides in Cleveland, Ohio, and is President of the Raymond Company.

320

CHARLES SEYMOUR, son of (297) Morgan L. Schermerhorn and Elizabeth Colt; b. Oct. 22, 1848; m. Oct. 22, 1873, CHARLESETTA APPLEGARTH; b. Feb. 17, 1849.

Children:

Charles S. Schermerhorn was born in Albany, N. Y., and resided there during his early youth. He removed to Baltimore while still a young man and was married there. He engaged in the grain and feed business in Baltimore, Md., and has conducted this business for nearly forty years. His son, Morgan, is now a member of his father's firm and handles the active part of the business. Alexander V. R. is a lawyer and is connected with a bonding company in St. Louis, Mo. Mrs. Hubner resides in Catonville, on the outskirts of Baltimore, Md. She had one son, John. Alexander and Nathaniel Schermerhorn were educated at Johns Hopkins University. They are members of the Kappa Alpha Fraternity.

321

JOHN C. SPENCER, son of (297) Morgan L. Schermerhorn and Elizabeth Colt; b. Dec. 21, 1850; d. ————; m. Sept. 26, 1870, CAROLINE B. HAYNIE.

Children:

The family of John C. Schermerhorn live in Texas. Mrs. J. C. Schermerhorn resides at Austin, Tex., with her daughter, Mary L. Mrs. Womack resides in Burton, Tex. Mrs. McKeown resides at Austin, Tex. Her husband is Chief Dispatcher of the H. & T. C. R. R. They have two children, Hugh S. and Byron B. Morgan H. Schermerhorn resides in Pecos, Tex., and is auditor of the Texas Oil Co. Travis E. resides in Shreveport, Louisiana, and James S. in Burton, Tex. Mrs. Hardy also lives in Austin, Tex. Her husband is Deputy Labor Commissioner.

322

JACOB, son of (301) Derick V. Schermerhorn and Mary McChesney; b. Oct. 1, 1837; m. Dec. 14, 1870, MARY McCHESNEY.

Children:

Jacob Schermerhorn was educated at the Troy High School and the Troy Academy. He lived at the homestead where he was born during the greater part of his life. In his youth he was a school teacher and in later years held the office of school trustee of the town. His daughter Rachel was graduated from the Troy High School and the Albany State Normal College. She was a school teacher up to the time of her marriage. Harvey O. Schermerhorn was graduated from the Troy High School and the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute of Troy. He was a member of the class of 1903 and received a degree of C. E. In 1903 and 1904 he resided in New York City and was engaged upon the construction of the Rapid Transit Subway. In June, 1904, he entered the employ of the State of New York and until recently has been engaged on the engineering work of the State Barge Canal. For several years he was Resident Engineer in charge of the construction of the Waterford Section of the Canal work, and later had charge of the Canal terminals design in the Albany office. In Oct. 1913, he was appointed Division Engineer in the Bureau of Highways, State of New York with headquarters at Albany, N. Y. Oscar Hasbrouck, the husband of Henrietta Schermerhorn, is also a graduate of the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Class of 1905. He is a Civil Engineer employed as Asst. Engineer in the Bureau of Highways, State of New York. Rev. Charles Stillman, husband of Rachel, is a graduate of Williams College. The latter family reside in St. Paul, Minn.

323

RICHARD, son of (301) Derick V. Schermerhorn and Mary McChesney; b. Dec. 7, 1848; m. Jan. 30, 1877, JANE A. FISKE.

Children:

Richard Schermerhorn was graduated from the Troy High School in June, 1867, and from the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute of Troy, N. Y., in 1871, with degree of C. E. He was Asst. Engineer in the employ of the New York Department of Parks in the Fall of 1871 and in 1872 was engaged on Railroad work for the N. Y., West Shore and Chicago R. R. and the D. & H. Canal Co., for which latter company he located the line between Cherry Valley and Richfield Springs. In 1873 he was Engineer for the Long Island Land Company at Springfield, L. I., and later was Asst. to the Division Engineer of the N. Y. and Canada R. R., in charge of 72 miles of construction. On Feb. 1, 1874, he was appointed Chief Engineer of the Prospect Park and Coney Island R. R. at Brooklyn, N. Y., and on Jan. 1, 1875, was appointed Chief Engineer and Superintendent of the same company. While serving in this capacity he constructed the New York and Coney Island R. R. and re-erected the Coney Island observatory, a tall steel structure, 500 ft. in height. He had entire charge of the management and operation of the P. P. & C. I. R. R. during the entire period of its independent existence, which was until 1892. This road practically controlled for a considerable period the entire passenger and freight traffic between New York and Brooklyn and Coney Island, having branches from 36th Street Ferry, Bay Ridge and other points convenient to New York City traffic, also connections with the Long Island R. R. It was said at one time that it carried more passengers per mile of track than any other railroad in the country. This railroad was responsible for the first real development of Coney Island as a summer resort. The following is from a newspaper clipping in 1879:

The first step Mr. Culver took toward the development of his plan was the building of a steam railroad; and with a wideawake and knowing young civil engineer, Mr. Richard Schermerhorn, to superintend the work, he proceeded to make his plan a reality. On the 27th of June, 1875, the road was completed; and Mr. Culver's confidence in his young engineer was at once attested by installing him as Superintendent, a position which he still holds, to the entire satisfaction of the public as well as to Mr. Culver. A feat of engineering skill was the overcoming of the four per cent grade near the Brooklyn terminus. The road has been a success, so much so that this year a branch has been constructed in the laying of a track from the Coney Island terminus at West Brighton Beach to Norton's Point, the west end of the Island. The road is now in three divisions, — the horse car line running from Fulton Ferry through Vanderbilt and Ninth Avenues; the West Brighton Division, employing six locomotives and 29 cars, and the Coney Island Beach Division, employing 2 locomotives and 74 cars. On the West Brighton division, 88 trains are run daily on week days and 100 every Sunday. The road is admirable managed in every respect; it is well equipped, well ballasted and intelligently handled, and running through a beautiful section of the country, presents unsurpassed attractions to the traveller.

This was in the early days of Coney Island. The facilities of this railroad were enlarged greatly as Coney Island developed. When this road was finally purchased by the Long Island Railroad, Richard Schermerhorn remained in his former position for a while, but in 1892 resigned to enter into independent practice as a Consulting Engineer. His offices were on Montague St., Brooklyn, and for a period he also maintained an office on Wall St., New York City. He engaged principally in Railroad enterprises, in some of which, however, he suffered financial loss. He retired from active work in about 1905.

Richard Schermerhorn was a well known resident of the Park Slope of Brooklyn in the early days of that section. He was a member of the Carleton Club of that district, serving on its Board of Directors for many terms. He was one of the members of the latter Club, included among whom was also the late Mayor Gaynor of New York City, who later became early members of the Montauk Club of Brooklyn, now one of the Borough's famous social institutions. He was a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers and also a member of many other professional and social organizations.

[Photo: original size (11K) | 4x enlarged (42K)] Richard Schermerhorn, Jr., was born at No. 172 Prospect Place, Brooklyn, N. Y., and now resides at No. 183 Prospect Place. He was educated at Brooklyn private schools, the Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn and the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute of Troy, N. Y. After spending several years in general civil engineering work, he began in the Fall of 1900, the study and practice of landscape architecture, serving until 1905 with Boston and New York landscape architects, and being engaged upon the development of many large and well known private country estates and properties. In 1905 he opened an office at 29 Broadway, New York City, for private practice, both as landscape architect and civil engineer, and this office has been continued since then, being removed in 1911 to 347 Fifth Avenue. Prominent among the properties with which his work has been concerned have been those of the late Hon. W. C. Whitney, Andrew Carnegie, the City of New York, and the Belmont Park Race-course. While most of his practice is confined to the New York and New Jersey neighborhood, he has altogether carried out work in as many as seven different states. He is a Member of the American Society of Civil Engineers, a Fellow of the American Society of Landscape Architects, and a member of the Chi Phi Fraternity, the Brooklyn City Plan Committee and the New York Genealogical and Biographical Society. He was also a member of the Citizens' Committee appointed by Mayor McClellan to serve during the Hudson-Fulton Celebration in 1909.

Edward F. Schermerhorn was born at No. 172 Prospect Place, Brooklyn, N. Y., and his residence is at present the same as his brother's, No. 183 Prospect Place. He was educated at the private schools of Brooklyn and at the Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn, graduating from the Polytechnic Preparatory School in 1894 and spending two years in the Institute. He was an Honor man at the Polytechnic, receiving the highest diplomas the school awards for Scholarship. He is connected with the Rail Joint Company of New York City, in which business he has been engaged almost since the time of. his first entering commercial life. He is concerned a great deal with the experimental work of this company, which takes him to many sections of the country.

Donald Schermerhorn was educated at private schools of Brooklyn and the Brooklyn High School. He has been engaged in the banking and brokerage business since graduation and is at present connected with Harris, Winthrop & Co., Bankers and Brokers, of Wall St., New York City.

324

REV. PETER, son of (304) William H. Schermerborn and Hannah Dingman; b. Nov. 9, 1840; m. Jan. 24, 1861, ELIZA DAVENPORT.

Children:

Peter Schermerhorn was born in New York State but removed to the West some time after his marriage. He is a Congregational Minister in Onondaga, Mich., and has been in the ministry since 1885. His son, Edwin D., is an oculist in Pontiac, Mich.

325

EDGAR, son of (304) William H. Schermerhorn and Hannah Dingman; b. Mch. 5, 1857; m. FANNY SAWYER.

Children:

Edgar Schermerhorn removed West in his early youth. He was born in Schoharie Co., N. Y. He is now in the lumber business in Sawyer, Kan.

Eighth Generation

326

MYRON, son of (308) John H. Schermerhorn and Anna C. Hawver; b. Feb. 6, 1854; m. June 20, 1878, MARION SHAURMAN.

Children:

Myron Schermerhorn was born at Glenco Mills, Columbia Co., N. Y. His father was an ardent believer in and supporter of higher education. After finishing the grammar school, Myron was sent to the Hudson Academy, and afterward to the Delaware Literary Institute, Franklin, N. Y., and Centenary Collegiate Institute, Hackettstown, N. J. His life work has been in the public schools. He was School Commissioner of the first district of Columbia Co., N. Y., from 1887 to 1894. He removed to New Haven in 1895 and for five years was principal of East Haven Union School. At present he is principal of the Whiting St. School and of the Hillhouse Evening School, New Haven, Conn.

John Lyle Schermerhorn was graduated from Yale University, Sheffield Scientific School, in 1901, with degree of A. B. Immediately afterward he was employed by the General Electric Co., of Schenectady, N. Y., with whom he remained until he became Chief Engineer of the American Transformer Co., of Newark, N. J.

Avery Milton Schermerhorn was graduated from Yale University, S. S. S., in 1906, with degree of A. B. Soon after graduation he became connected with the New York Telephone Co., and upon installation of the Public Service Commission in New York City, he became connected with that branch known as the first district. His present official title is Supervising Transit Inspector, though he is principally employed on special work, of an individual character. He is a resident of Brooklyn, N. Y. His wife is a graduate of Bucknell University, with degree of A. B.

327

MARY, daughter of (308) John Henry Schermerhorn and Anna Christina Hawver; b. Sept. 23, 1858, at Glenco Mills, N. Y.; m. June 13, 1882, STEPHEN F. AVERY; b. Dec. 31, 1849, at W. Taghanic, N. Y. [Taghkanic?]

Children:

Stephen F. Avery was educated at Cornell University and at the Albany Law School and has practised law ever since. His son, Harry Bain, was graduated from Cornell University in 1905 with a degree of M. D. In the spring of 1909 he went to Honduras as Surgeon of a mining company, remaining there three years. On Dec. 26, 1912, he sailed for France as Ship's Surgeon. Christine A. Avery was graduated from Cornell in 1909. She was chief chemist to the Metzgar Chemical Co., N. Y. City, and resigned that position to accept one of Bacteriological Chemist, U. S. Govt. Food Research Laboratories. She has been in charge of Laboratories at Philadelphia, Pa., Atchison, Kan., Nashville, Tenn., and Atlantic, Iowa. Her husband, Prof. Rogers, is Asst. Prof. of Poultry Husbandry in the Agricultural College at Cornell University. Madeline Sally Avery is a Senior at Cornell. (1913.)

Fourth Branch: Schermerhorn Public Office Holders

Judges, Magistrates

John C. Schermerhorn, Asst. Court Justice, Rensselaer Co., N. Y., 1791.

Member of State Legislature

Cornelius H. Schermerhorn, Michigan, 187—.

Mayors

Cornelius H. Schermerhorn, Jackson, Mich., 1873. George W. Schermerhorn, Gloversville, N. Y., 1913, 14.

Postmasters

Jacob V. H. Schermerhorn, Chatham Centre, Col. Co., N. Y., 1859. Isaac M. Schermerhorn, Buffalo, N. Y., in the 1860s.

Alderman

Cornelius H. Schermerhorn, Jackson, Mich., 1872.

Miscellaneous Offices

Cornelius J. Schermerhorn, Constable, Albany, 1708, Firemaster, Albany, 1722. Jacob C. Schermerhorn, Firemaster, Albany, N. Y., 1721, Constable, Albany, 1723. Peter Schermerhorn, Town Clerk, Sharon, Schoharie Co., N. Y., early 1800s. Myron Schermerhorn, School Comm'r, Columbia Co., N. Y., 1887-93. Francis D. Schermerhorn, Surveyor of the Port, Quincey, Ill., 1875.

Town Supervisor

Newton Schermerhorn, Livingston, Col. Co., N. Y., 1892-3.

Justices of the Peace

Jacob Schermerhorn, Brunswick, Rensselaer Co., 1815, 16, 18. Oliver T. Schermerhorn, Cairo, Greene Co., N. Y., 1882 and later.

Schermerhorns in the Professions

Clergymen

Peter V. Schermerhorn, Methodist, N. Y. and the middle West, latter 1800s. Peter Schermerhorn, Congregational, middle West; living.

Lawyers

Alexander V. R. Schermerhorn, St. Louis, Mo.; living. Henry V. R. Schermerhorn, Geneva, N. Y., early 1800s. Morgan L. Schermerhorn, Geneva, N. Y., early 1800s. Peter Schermerhorn, Schoharie Co., N. Y., early 1800s.

Civil Engineers

Augustus D. Schermerhorn, U. P. Ry., Omaha, Neb.; living. Francis D. Schermerhorn, U. P. Ry., Grand Rapids, Neb.; living. Harvey O. Schermerhorn, N. Y. State Highway Dept.; living. Judah C. Schermerhorn, middle West and South, latter 1800s. John H. Schermerhorn, middle West, latter 1800s. Richard Schermerhorn, N. Y. State; living. Richard Schermerhorn, Jr., N. Y. State; living.

Architect

Cornelius H. Schermerhorn, Greene, N. Y.; living.

College Bred Schermerhorns

Yale University

John Lyle Schermerhorn, 1901, Ph.B. Avery Milton Schermerhorn, 1906, A. B.

Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute

Richard Schermerhorn, 1871, C. E. Richard Schermerhorn, Jr., 1898. Harvey O. Schermerhorn, 1903, C. E.

Geneva College (Now Hobart)

Isaac M. Schermerhorn, 183—.

College of the City of New York

Cornelius H. Schermerhorn, 1862.

Oberlin College

Jane M. Schermerhorn, 1858. Margaret V. C. Schermerhorn, 1895. George D. Schermerhorn, 1907.

Johns Hopkins University

Nathaniel E. Schermerhorn, 189—. Alexander V. R. Schermerhorn, 189—.

Cornell University

Nathaniel E. Schermerhorn, 189—.

Emma Willard Seminary

Jane M. Schermerhorn, 185—.

Brooklyn Polytechnic Institute

Richard Schermerhorn, Jr., 1896. Edwards F. Schermerhorn, 1888.

Military Records

Militia from 1781 to 1812

John C. Schermerhorn, Lieut. Albany Co. Regt., 1787. Henry V. R. Schermerhorn, Judge Advocate 4th Brigade Artillery.

Soldiers of 1812-14

Abraham Schermerhorn, d. at French Mills, 1813. John H. Schermerhorn, stationed at Sacketts Harbor.

Soldiers of 1861-65

Abraham P. Schermerhorn, 120th N. Y. Vols, (wounded at Gettysburg). Cornelius H. Schermerhorn, Col. 17th U. S. C. T. Edward Schermerhorn, 1st N. Y. Mounted Rifles. John Henry Schermerhorn, Major, Ill. Dept. of Quartermaster Gen. Stephen V. R. Schermerhorn, 23rd N. Y.; killed at Antietam. Paul A. Schermerhorn, 120th N. Y. John T. Schermerhorn, Ord. Sergt. 18th Mich., killed at Athens, Ala. Myron Schermerhorn of N. Y.; killed in battle. James U. Schermerhorn of N. Y.

Go to top of page | back to: part 3 of Chapter 5 | ahead to: Chapter 6

You are here: Home » Families » Schermerhorn Genealogy » Schermerhorn Chronicles » Chapter V (Part 4 of 4)

http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/families/schermerhorn/chronicles/5d.html updated July 30, 2009

Copyright 2009 Schenectady Digital History Archive — a service of the Schenectady County Public Library