This page conforms to the XHTML standard and uses style sheets. If your browser doesn't support these, you may not see the page as designed, but all the text is still accessible to you.

SCHENECTADY DIGITAL HISTORY ARCHIVE

Bringing the heritage of Schenectady County, New York to the world since 1996

You are here: Home » Families » Schermerhorn Genealogy » Schermerhorn Chronicles » Chapter IV (Part 2 of 5)

Schermerhorn Genealogy and Family Chronicles:
Chapter IV: Descendants of Jacob Jacobse Schermerhorn (Part 2 of 5)

Go back to: part 1 of Chapter 4 | ahead to: part 3 of Chapter 4

[This information is from pp. 208-224 of Schermerhorn Genealogy and Family Chronicles by Richard Schermerhorn, Jr. (New York: Tobias A. Wright, Publisher, 1914).]

Fifth Generation

142

JACOB I., son of (128) Jacob J. Schermerhorn and Catalyntje Van Buren; b. Oct. 24, 1741; bp. in Albany; d. July 26, 1795; bur. in E. Greenbush, N. Y.; m. Dec. 16, 1775, in Kinderhook, GEERTJE SCHERMERHORN; b. Dec. 4, 1751; d. Feb. 22, 1831, aged 79-2-18; bur. in E. Greenbush; dau. of Barent Schermerhorn and Alettaka Konyn.

Children:

Jacob I. Schermerhorn was a resident of E. Greenbush, N. Y. On May 6, 1789, he was admitted to the Reformed Church at East Greenbush. He was deacon in 1790 and 1792, and elder in 1793 and 1795.

The census of 1790 lists as follows:

Jacob I. Schermerhorn, residence, Rensselaerwyck; 3 males over 16 (inc. father); 2 males under 16; 4 females (inc. mother); 2 slaves. Evidently two servants or other relatives are included in this list.

143

[Drawing of residence: original size (35K) | 4x enlarged (127K)] LIEUT. COL. JACOB C., son of (129) Cornelius J. Schermerhorn and Maria Winne; b. May 25, 1743; bp. in Albany; d. May 5, 1822, at Schodack Landing, N. Y.; m. (1) Mch. 29, 1762 (M. L.), GERRITJE SCHERMERHORN; dau. of Johannes J. Schermerhorn and Engeltje Gardinier; b. May 1, 1742; d. Mch. 2, 1782; m. (2) Feb. 15, 1783, in Kinderhook, CORNELIA GARDINIER; d. July 21, 1793; widow of Johannes Vosburgh; m. (3) Apr. 5, 1794, in Kinderhook, SARAH VANDERPOEL; b. July 14, 1754; d. Mch. 21, 1817; dau. of Johannes Vanderpoel and Annatje Staats, and widow of John A. Van Alstyne.

Children by first wife:

Children by second wife:

Jacob C. Schermerhorn lived at Schodack Landing, New York, the home of his ancestors. He was a large landowner and was prominently connected with the public affairs of his time. He served in the Revolutionary War in 1775-6, as First Lieut. in Capt. John H. Beekman's company of the 5th Albany Co. Regiment, commanded by Col. Stephen Schuyler; and in 1766-77, as 1st Major of the 2nd Battalion of the Fourth Albany Co. Regiment, commanded by Col. Killian Van Rensselaer.

Major Schermerhorn was in command of his regiment at the surrender of General Burgoyne at Saratoga, on Oct. 17, 1777. After the War he was commissioned, Oct. 4, 1786, by Gov. George Clinton, Lieut. Colonel Commandant of the Regular Militia of Albany. He was still Lieut. Col. in 1797, then of a Rensselaer Co. Regiment. The certificate of appointment is in the possession of a descendant, Peter Miller, of Schodack Landing, N. Y.

He was a member of the New York State Assembly in 1795, and from 1793 to 1797 was State Commissioner for the County Buildings at Troy, N. Y. A portrait in water-colors taken in the latter part of his life is in the possession of his descendents.

The census of 1790 lists as follows:

Jacob C. Schermerhorn, residence, Rensselaerwyck; 4 males over 16 (inc. father); 2 males under 16; 7 females (inc. mother): 11 slaves.

Both he and his wife Gerritje were early members of the old Schodack Reformed Church and are listed as members No. 16 and No. 17.

Col. Jacob C. Schermerhorn is spoken of as a Dutchman "dyed in the wool," and a man of most dominating qualities. His great grandson, the late Louis Y. Schermerhorn, wrote as follows: "When I visited the old village of Schodack in 1890, I found that, nearly 80 years after his death, his imperious character was still preserved by tradition and that his name was used to frighten refractory children into obedience. He was withal of a very social disposition and family traditions refer to very frequent entertainments at his house given to the Van Rensselaer patroon and his friends at Albany. He was a man of great physical strength and fearless of danger to the last degree. He was stout in figure, without corpulence and his height was five feet, eight inches."

The old homestead of Col. Jacob C. Schermerhorn still stands at Schodack, an old brick house facing the Hudson River. It was occupied later by his son, Capt. John I., and finally passed into the hands of the Ten Eyck family.

144

CAPT. DANIEL C., son of (129) Cornelius Schermerhorn and Maria Winne; bp. Mch. 23, 1745, in Kinderhook; m. MARIA VANDERPOEL (M. L. Nov. 4, 1766).

Children:

Capt. Daniel C. Schermerhorn lived in Schodack, Rensselaer Co., N. Y. He owned considerable property and was evidently of importance in the neighborhood, as in fact, were all Schermerhorns of Schodack at that time. He was the owner of Schodack Island, as is evidenced by a deed for this property granted to him May 24, 1775, by Barent H. Ten Eyck. On Oct. 20, 1775, he was commissioned 1st Lieut. of the 7th Co., 4th Regt. Rensselaerwyck Battalion, N. Y. S. Militia. On Apr. 1, 1778, he was commissioned Captain in the same Regiment. He was an elder in the Reformed Church of Schodack. The census of 1790 lists his family as follows:

2 males over 16 (inc. father); 5 males under 16; 2 females (inc. mother); 6 slaves.

The old homestead of Capt. Daniel C. Schermerhorn is still owned and occupied by his descendents. His property is shown on the Van Alen map of 1785-90. It consists of three separate parcels of land comprising in all about 325 acres.

145

CAPT. JOHN WINNE, son of (129) Cornelius J. Schermerhorn and Maria Winne; bp. July 4, 1747; d. Jan. 5, 1817; m. (1) Dec. 5, 1773, CATALYNTJE VAN VALKENBURGH; bp. Jan. 25, 1744, in Albany; dau. of Abraham Van Valkenburgh and Neeltie Gardinier; m. (2) Nov. 10, 1793, ABIGAIL EVERETT; b. Oct. 27, 1763.

Children by first wife:

Children by second wife:

Capt. John W. Schermerhorn lived in East Nassau, Rensselaer Co., N. Y. He established the first Inn in the town and, with a Mr. Hoag, owned two of the earliest stores there. His grist mill on the Tsatawassa Pond was the first manufacturing enterprise in East Nassau. The location of this is shown on a map (Bleecker's) dating as early as 1767. The village of East Nassau was once named "Schermerhorn" in honor of John W. He held many public offices. In 1788 he was one of the delegates to decide on the adoption of the Federal constitution. He was Assistant Court Justice in 1791, 94, 97, and 1802, and Justice of the Peace in 1791 and 1794. From 1784 to 1790 he was Supervisor of Stephentown. He was elected to the Assembly and served in 1791, 92, 98, and 1800. He was Incorporator and Commissioner of the Stephentown Turnpike Corporation, established Apr. 3, 1801. On Oct. 20, 1775, he was commissioned Captain in Col. Kilian Van Rensselaer's 4th Regiment of Rensselaerwyck Militia.

The census of 1790 lists the family of John W. Schermerhorn as follows:

John W. Schermerhorn, residence, Stephentown; 5 males over 16 (inc. father); 4 males under 16; 3 females (inc. mother); 4 slaves.

Cornelius W. Schermerhorn, eldest son of John W., was the soldier of his generation. In 1811 he was Lieutenant in Lieut. Col. Cornelius I. Schermerhorn's Regiment (43rd N. Y.), and on May 23, 1812, was commissioned 1st Lieutenant in the 86th Regt., Randall Spencer, Lieut. Col. In 1815, he was Capt. of Light Artillery in the same Regiment.

Richard E. Schermerhorn, another son of John W., was a minister connected most of his life with the Methodist Churches of Maine. His biography states: "He was a man well read, uniform, and of deep piety, good preaching talent, and successful in the great object of the ministry."

146

PHILIP C., son of (129) Cornelius J. Schermerhorn and Maria Winne; bp. Jan. 28, 1750, in Albany; m. Jan. 25, 1776, in Kinderhook, DOROTHY MILLER, dau. of Isaac Miller and Elizabeth Kittle (?).

Children:

Philip C. Schermerhorn lived in Schodack and his property was located about four miles back from the Hudson River bordering the Columbia Co. line. It is shown in the Van Alen map at 1785-90, and comprised about 300 acres.

The census of 1790, lists the family of Philip Schermerhorn as follows:

Philip Schermerhorn — residence, Rensselaerwyck — 2 males over 16 (inc. father) — 1 male under 16 — 3 females (inc. mother) — 3 slaves.

Philip Schermerhorn served in the Revolution, in the 4th Regt. of Albany County Militia, Kilian Van Rensselaer, Colonel.

147

JACOB R., son of (130) Ryer Schermerhorn and Dirkje Van Buren; b. 1761; m. Nov. 13, 1785, in Kinderhook, TYSJE (LUCRETIA) COVERT; b. Jan. 1, 1768; d. Jan. 30, 1813, aged 45 years, 30 days; bur. in North Gage, N. Y.

Children:

148

JACOB H., son of (131) Hendrick Schermerhorn and Cornelia Lansing; b. Sept. 10, 1763; d. May 8, 1813; bur. in North Gage, N. Y.; m. 1782, in Kinderhook, AALTJE (ALIDA) SCHERMERHORN, b. Sept. 12, 1764; d. Sept. 15, 1836, aged 74 yrs.; bur. in North Gage, N. Y.; dau. of Ryer J. Schermerhorn and Dirkje Van Buren.

Children:

Jacob H. Schermerhorn was a native of Rensselaer Co., and lived in Schodack, where some of his children were born. Previous to 1790 he removed to Charlestown, Montgomery Co., and from there removed (about 1802) to Deerfield, Oneida Co., where he purchased 200-300 acres of wooded land. In 1803, his son Ryer, taking a family of negro slaves with him, went to the latter place and in March 1804, his father and the rest of the family joined him. A log house and barn were built near the West Canada Creek and afterwards, in 1812, another log house was built. This was the first frame house built in this vicinity. In the census of 1790, the residence of Jacob H. is given as Mohawk, Montgomery County, and in his family were 2 males over 16 years of age (himself and brother probably) — 1 male under sixteen — 3 females (including wife) and 2 slaves.

Jacob H. Schermerhorn's name appears on the Revolutionary rolls as private in the 4th Regt., 2nd Rensselaerwyck Bat., Kilian Van Rensselaer Col., and he was Captain in the Albany County Militia in 1786, Jacob C. Schermerhorn, Lieut. Col.

Daniel Schermerhorn, son of Jacob H., was the first from the town of Deerfield to volunteer in the War of 1812. He held the rank of Sergeant and was stationed at Sackett's Harbor, N. Y. In 1817, he was Lieutenant in the 157th Regt., N. Y. Inf., and in 1822, Capt. in the 72nd N. Y. Inf. (with Rank from Feb. 17, 1820). Later he became Colonel. Daniel was the first Postmaster of Deerfield, being most instrumental in 1831, in obtaining the first post office of the town. He removed to Wisconsin in later life, and at one time was judge of Junu Co., in that state.

Cornelia Schermerhorn, daughter of Jacob H., had two sons, Daniel S. and Andrew. They removed to the South some time before the Civil War, settling in Rome, Georgia. Daniel Printup was very energetic and had considerable interest in railroads and shipping as well as political affairs. He was a graduate of Union College, Schenectady. He was a man of gigantic frame, being seven feet in height and well proportioned. When the Civil War broke out, it was necessary for him to join issue with the South on account of his Southern affiliations, and he eventually became Brigadier General in the Confederate Army. He was a close friend of Roscoe Conkling, after the War, and many other prominent men of the day. His son John Printup is still a resident of Rome, Georgia.

149

EVERT, son of (131) Hendrick Schermerhorn and Cornelia Lansing; b. Aug. 17, 1772; bp. in Schodack; d. Apr. 26, 1849, age 76-9-11; m. Jan. 5, 1795, in Schenectady, ELIZABETH SCHERMERHORN; b. Dec. 1778; d. Jan. 13, 1852, age 73-1; dau. of Lourens Schermerhorn and Geesie Viele.

Children:

Evert Schermerhorn moved from Schodack to Montgomery Co., N. Y., probably with his brother Jacob H., between 1788 and 1790. At the time of his marriage he lived in Caughnawaga, which is about 20 miles above Schenectady, near Fonda.

150

CORNELIUS H., son of (131) Hendrick Schermerhorn and Cornelia Lansing; b. Aug. 31, 1781; m. HESTER VEDDER; b. Jan. 21, 1785; d. Aug. 21, 1847.

Children:

151

JOHN L., son of (132) Lucas J. Schermerhorn and Wyntje Fitzgerald; b. about 1761; m. ANNA SHEPARD.

Children:

John L. Schermerhorn was a private in a N. Y. Regiment formed in 1780, for the defense of the frontier, A. Livingston, Capt., and Marinus Willett, Col. He served from Sept. 7, 1780, to May 21, 1783, and was at one time taken prisoner.

152

JACOB L., son of (132) Lucas J. Schermerhorn and Wyntje Fitzgerald; b. about 1765; m. Nov. 15, 1788, in Schodack, NEELTJE SAUNDERS.

Children:

Jacob L. Schermerhorn lived in Chatham, N. Y., in 1801, and sometime before 1812 moved to Ballston, Saratoga Co., N. Y.

154

RYER L., son of (132) Lucas J. Schermerhorn and Wyntje Fitzgerald; b. Dec. 5, 1770; bp. in Schodack; d. Oct. 14., 1809; m. in 1791, LEANY VAN VALKENBURGH.

Children:

Ryer L. Schermerhorn was a prosperous farmer. He and his wife were life long residents of Schodack, N. Y. He was for years one of the leading elders of the Old Dutch Ref. Church at Muitzeskill.

155

[Painting: original size (8K) | 4x enlarged (29K)] DERRICK L., son of (132) Lucas J. Schermerhorn and Wyntje Fitzgerald; b. Apr. 16, 1775; d. Aug. 20, 1855; bur. in N. Chatham, N. Y.; m. Feb. 4, 1797, in Kinderhook, EVA VAN VALKENBURGH; b. July 16, 1778; d. Oct. 13, 1817.

Children:

Derrick L. Schermerhorn lived in Lexington, Greene Co., and established the first woolen mill for dressing homespun clothes on the Schoharie Kill in 1823. He also built the first forge in the place. He was a man of gigantic size, weighing 300 pounds.

156

PHILIP L., son of (132) Lucas J. Schermerhorn and Wyntje Fitzgerald; b. Jan. 4, 1778; bp. in Kinderhook; d. Aug. 9, 1831; m. Oct. 5, 1800, CHARITY CARPENTER; b. May 31, 1780; d. June 29, 1851.

Children:

Philip L. Schermerhorn was a resident of Schodack, N. Y. His old residence located in Muitzeskill, is still occupied by members of the Schermerhorn family. In 1822, Lucas P. Schermerhorn was ensign of the 43rd Regt., N. Y. Infantry.

158

JACOB, son of (134) Johannes Schermerhorn and Jannetje (Van Hoesen?); b. Aug. 13, 1762; bp. in Athens; m. CATHARINE FINK.

Children:

It was said by old members of the family that Jacob Schermerhorn came from Columbia Co., originally, and settled in a section at the western end of the Catskill Mountains. At any rate it is known that he and his family eventually settled in the village of Conesville, town of Broome, Schoharie Co., N. Y., which lies just beyond the northeast and northwest corners of Greene and Albany Cos., respectively.

He is said to have been a prosperous farmer leaving each of his sons, at his death, a large farm.

159

CORNELIUS, son of (136) Johannes Schermerhorn and Neeltje Scherp; b. Nov. 26, 1745; bp. in Athens; m. Aug. 4, 1781, in Claverack, SYNTJE (CYNTHIA) SCHERP.

Children:

Cornelius lived in Columbia Co., in 1790 at Kinderhook, and in 1829 at Stuyvesant. The census of 1790 lists his family as follows:

Cornelius Schermerhorn — residence, Kinderhook — 1 male over 16 (father) — 5 males under 16 — 2 females (inc. mother) — 3 slaves.

161

RYER B., son of (130) Barent Schermerhorn and Alleteka Konyn; bp. Mch. 28, 1756, in Rhinebeck; m. Feb. 2, 1775, in Albany, MARYTJE DAVIDS BEEVERS.

Children:

The census of 1790 lists as follows:

Ryer B. Schermerhorn — residence, Watervliet — 1 male over 16 (inc. father) — 1 male under 16 — 3 females (inc. mother).

162

LEENDERT (LEONARD), son of (139) Barent Schermerhorn and Alletaka Konyn; b. Oct. 12, 1758; bp. in Rhinebeck; d. 1841; m. June 12, 1780, in Schachticoke, MARY DOTY.

Children:

Leonard Schermerhorn lived in his youth in Rensselaer Co., N. Y., near northwest border of the Lansingburgh town line. He was a soldier in the Revolution. Sometime after 1798, he moved to Helderberg, Albany Co. and at the time of his death, lived in Knox, Albany Co. On May 16, 1834, 77.5 acres of land at Berne, Albany Co., were conveyed to him. His sons David and Leonard, Jr., inherited the farm lying in the towns of Berne and Knox. In the probate of his will in 1842, Leonard, Jr., and Joseph are mentioned as living in Berne, and Elizabeth Schermerhorn and Polly Hallenbeck in Knox.

Barent, Daniel and Henry, sons of Leonard Schermerhorn, removed to Canada shortly before the war of 1812. Their families were last heard from living near Napanee, Canada.

163

JACOB D., son of (141) John R. Schermerhorn and Catharine E. Knickerbocker; b. Aug. 13, 1794; bp. in Berne; d. Mch. 19, 1869; bur. at North Branch, Sullivan Co., N. Y.; m. ELEANOR SPARKS; d. June 28, 1859.

Children:

Jacob D. Schermerhorn and his family removed from Summit, Schoharie Co., to Sullivan Co., N. Y., in about 1835. He built and conducted the first hotel at Jeffersonville, Callicoon, Sullivan Co., and had much to do with the populating of the county. He spoke both the Dutch and the German languages and it was often his custom to go to Castle Garden, in New York City, meeting the emigrants from Germany and Holland, and inducing them to make their homes in the county in which he dwelt. His own larder often supplied them with food and his money helped them to buy a yoke of oxen, thus assisting them to establish a foothold in the new country. He was a genial, cheerful and companionable man, who foresaw the future prosperity of his community, though as things turned out he did not reap the benefit of his foresight. He was known as "Uncle Jake" and was of a most generous nature. It seems it was difficult for him to say "No" to the various appeals on his generosity, and the consequence was that he died poor. Even after he had lost practically everything, and was working on salary for the Erie R. R., he had among his effects many notes from various individuals to whom he had loaned money and which were never redeemed, these being found among his personal belongings, after his death.

He was postmaster at North Branch, Sullivan Co., during President Buchanan's administration, 1857-61. He was also a surveyor by profession and it is said surveyed a great part of Sullivan Co.

Of the wife of Jacob D. Schermerhorn, familiarly called "Aunt Nellie," a grandson writes as follows: "She was a woman of lovely disposition and her kindness to the people who had settled in the wilds of Sullivan Co. was proverbial. Many a night she was called to attend a case of sickness, and she and her husband, my grandfather, would get out of good warm bed and he would hitch up his horses, and they would drive fifteen or twenty miles, as the case might be, on a cold winter's night, that she might assist in alleviating the distresses of the suffering one."

Go to top of page | back to: part 1 of Chapter 4 | ahead to: part 3 of Chapter 4

You are here: Home » Families » Schermerhorn Genealogy » Schermerhorn Chronicles » Chapter IV (Part 2 of 5)

http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/families/schermerhorn/chronicles/4b.html updated July 30, 2009

Copyright 2009 Schenectady Digital History Archive — a service of the Schenectady County Public Library