This page conforms to the XHTML standard and uses style sheets. If your browser doesn't support these, you may not see the page as designed, but all the text is still accessible to you.

SCHENECTADY DIGITAL HISTORY ARCHIVE

Bringing the heritage of Schenectady County, New York to the world since 1996

You are here: Home » Resources » MVGW Home » Chapter 92A

History of the Mohawk Valley: Gateway to the West 1614-1925
Chapter 92A: History of Company G, One Hundred and Fifth Infantry, N. G. S. N. Y., Amsterdam.

[This information is from Vol. II, pp. 1376-1384 of History of the Mohawk Valley: Gateway to the West 1614-1925, edited by Nelson Greene (Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1925). It is in the Reference collection of the Schenectady County Public Library at R 974.7 G81h. This online edition includes lists of portraits, maps and illustrations. Some images have been relocated to the area in the text where they are discussed. As noted by Paul Keesler in his article, "The Much Maligned Mr. Greene," some information in this book has been superseded by later research or was provided incorrectly by local sources.]

Contents | Biographies | Illustrations | Maps | Portraits

Go back to: Chapter 92 | ahead to: Chapter 93

By Capt. Thomas Forrest Brown and Lt. Melvin W. Lethbridge, Amsterdam.

Company G., One Hundred and Fifth Infantry, N. G. S. N. Y., was organized as an independent military company under the command of Capt. Jacob Brazee, a Civil war veteran, in 1885, and was known as the Amsterdam Citizens' Corps, and as such took part in Memorial Day parades and other public celebrations till September 3, 1888, at which time it was mustered into the National Guard of New York as the Forty-sixth Separate Company, N. G. N. Y., under command of Capt. Darwin E. Vunk, with Dr. Thomas G. Hyland as first lieutenant and assistant surgeon, with the following names on the original muster-in roll:

Ashcraft, Albert, Bant, Emmet, Bant, William, Barkhuff, Hugh A., Bowers, Fred E., Caples, William, Christman, Raymond, Collar, William F., Collins, James, Connelly, Thomas J., Craig, William J., Dessau, Gustav, Devine, Burtis L., Dussel, Oscar, Ettlemyre, Henry, Fero, Jacob W., Fero, Miller J., Fox, George H., Gardner, Andrew, Going, John, Hall, Fred R., Hall, John W., Harnish, John, Harrigan, Morris, Hart, Nelson M., Hillyer, John F., Howard, James M., Hughes, George, Hutchison, Thomas, Johnson, Bently, Johnson, Frank, Johnson, Jay, Johnson, Schuyler, Jones, Judson L., Keary, William J., Lampkin, Francis, Lethbridge, Melvin W., Lowell, Irving J., Lowenstien, Morris, Luke, Frederick, Maloney, Edward, Masten, Walter E., McDonnell, Michael, McDonnell, James P., O'Rourke, James, Ottman, Sherman R., Ouderkirk, William N., Richertt, Henry, Robinson, Archie, Roy, George, Serviss, Elmer E., Severance, David M., Sitterly, James H., Smith, Lucius J., Smith, Michael, Swanker, William H., Tower, John, Turner, George M., Van Denburg, Edward, Vunk, Darwin E., Wasserman, Samuel, Waterstreet, Elias, Wheaton, Van B., Wheeler, Harry O., White, John D., White, Thomas F., Wilkes, Clarence.

Shortly afterward Edward P. White was commissioned first lieutenant, and Samuel Wasserman second lieutenant, and later succeeded by George Hughes as first lieutenant and Daniel W. Masten as second lieutenant. The company's first public duty was attending the centennial celebration of the inauguration of Gen. George Washington as President, in New York City, April 29-30-May 1, 1889, and the State Camp of Instruction, Peekskill, New York, from July 28th to August 4th. In 1890 it attended State Camp of Instruction, Peekskill, New York, from August 2nd to 9th. In 1892 the company attended the dedication of General Grant's Tomb, New York City, April 25-28th and State Camp of Instruction, Peekskill, New York, July 24-31st. In 1893 the Forty-sixth Company attended the presidential inaugural parade at Washington, D. C., March 1-5th, and the Columbus celebration in New York City, April 27-28th. In 1894 it attended State Camp of Instruction, Peekskill, New York, June 16-23rd, and the laying of the corner stone of the new armory, September 22nd. On March 14, 1895, they paraded and moved into their new armory. In 1896 they attended State Camp of Instruction, Peekskill, New York, July 12-29th. In 1897 First Lieutenant and Assistant Surgeon Hyland resigned, and Dr. Horace M. Hicks was commissioned first lieutenant and assistant surgeon.

On April 26, 1898, the company assembled under orders from General Headquarters and the President's call for Volunteers was read, the company volunteering as a body; May 2nd the company left the home station for Camp Black, Long Island, and became Company H. May 16th the company was mustered into United States service as Company H, Second New York Volunteer Infantry, and entrained for Chickamauga Park, Georgia, May 18th, arriving there May 21st. June 1st it entrained for Tampa, Florida, arriving there June 4th. July 12th Company H was ordered aboard transports at Port Tampa, Florida, and July 13th ordered back into camp at Tampa, Florida. July 26th entrained for Fernandina, Florida. It arrived there July 27th and went into camp until August 24th, when it entrained for Troy, New York, arriving there August 27th, and marching to Averill Park, New York, on August 28th, where they camped. On September 15th Company H entrained for the home station on a thirty-day furlough, which was extended till November 1st, when the company members were mustered out of United States service. A roster is herewith attached. They lost one man while in service, Private Webster Nellis, who died of typhoid-pneumonia about September 20th, 1898.

[Roster of 1898.] Company H, Second Regiment, New York Volunteer Infantry

Captain: Funk, Darwin E.

First Lieutenant: Hughes, George.

Second Lieutenant: Masten, Daniel W.

First Sergeant: Schuyler, Leslie J.

Q. M. Sergeant: Lethbridge, Melvin W.

Sergeants: Glossner, Mathias, Peek, Harley A., Lawrence, Walter D., Schoendorf, Joseph S.

Corporals: Albrecht, Louis, Black, James R., Freightenburgh, Alexander, Fleig, William J., Lewis, Bert E., Maroney, Edward J., Myers, W. Fenton, Myers, John A., Putman, Henry V., Robb, James M., Suits, William G., Van Heusen, William R.

Artificer: Smith, Willis R.

Wagoner: Luke, John C.

Musicians: Newell, Leonard, Newkirk, Walter

Privates: Anderson, Charles L., Anderson, John, Anderson, Andrew T., Ashton, Alfred, Batcheler, William E., Brown, Robert H., Brown, William R., Brown, Arthur, Ballard, Frederick J., Bergen, Martin H., Brazie, Daniel, Bracebridge, Sanford, Carey, John E., Cunningham, Robert W., Cramer, Alonzo A., Clark, Augustus, Carter, William H., Caldwell, John F., De Long, Eugene, Decker, William S., Demming, William H., Dwyer, John L., Fibkie, William, Field, George H., Field, William E., Finlan, Edwin M., Fitzgibbons, Lawrence A., Flannagan, Everett B., Folster, Charles E., Galusha, Delbert R., Geesler, LeRoy, Gourley, Millard, Hagadorn, Richard B., Hall, Harry E., Harnish, Lewis, Harrison, William H., Hilts, Jesse W., Hitchcock, Herbert W., Hogle, Frederick, Hollis, Albert, Isadore, John, Jansen, Frederick, Johnson, Carl A., Lawrence, George E., Long, Elmer, Maher, David P., McNeil, Leonard, Mereness, Lowell, Murray, John W., Jr., Nellis, Webster W., Newland, Charles, Osborne, George J., Older, Theodore, Peek, John C., Phelan, John F., Phillips, Jesse, Porath, William, Quiri, Eugene F., Rady, John F., Reals, Lewis L., Reddington, James J., Roggie, William F., Rooney, Daniel J., Schuyler, Edward F., Simpson, John H., Smith, Frank, Sprague, William K., Starks, John E., Stephens, Felix, Sterling, Andrew, Taylor, Henry M., Timmerman, Edward G., Thompson, Christopher, Tolck, Alfred, Touhey, Matthew F., Warren, Harry C., Wehr, John, Wert, James D., Werner, Henry, Whitney, Charles, Wickham, Fred S., Williams, Charles H., Yates, George F.

After the Forty-sixth Company had volunteered, a depot company was organized, under the command of Capt. Edward P. White, with Van B. Wheaton for first lieutenant, and R. E. Lee Reynolds for second lieutenant, and upon the second call for troops they went under the command of Captain White as Company C, Three Hundred and First New York Volunteer Infantry. Then another depot company was organized, under command of First Lieutenant Wheaton, and served till December 13th, when they were mustered out of service by Capt. Darwin E. Vunk, most of them transferring to Company H, who had taken its old status as a company of the National Guard upon muster out of United States service.

On September 28-30, 1899, the company attended the Dewey celebration in New York City. In 1900 they attended Camp of Instruction at Averill Park, New York, from August 19th to 25th. In 1901 Company H went to the Pan-American Exposition at Buffalo, New York, from August 11th to 18th, giving an exhibition drill each evening. In 1903 they attended Camp of Instruction at Crescent, New York, June 13-20th. Second Lieut. Daniel W. Masten resigned and Van B. Wheaton was commissioned. In 1904 they attended the United States Army maneuvers at Manassas and Thoroughfare, Virginia, September 3-13th. In 1905 they paraded with the Second Regiment at the inauguration of the governor at Albany, New York, January 2nd; February 28th to March 5th, took part in the inaugural parade, of President Roosevelt at Washington, D. C.

In 1906 Second Lieut. Van B. Wheaton resigned, Capt. Darwin E. Vunk retired, First Lieut. George Hughes was promoted to captain, Le Roy Geesler commissioned first lieutenant, and Capt. Horace M. Hicks major and regimental surgeon. September 1-9th, Company H attended a tour of field service with the Second Regiment at United States Army maneuvers at Mount Gretna, Pennsylvania. This was the only regiment from this state ordered there. Attended a tour of field service at Brigade Camp at Felts Mills, New York, August 31-September 7th, 1906. In 1908 Henry V. Putman was commissioned second lieutenant, and Dr. Julius Schiller first lieutenant and assistant surgeon. In 1909 Company H attended a tour of field service at Plattsburg Barracks, Plattsburg, New York, and the celebration of the anniversary of the Battle of Lake Champlain, July 3-10th, and also the celebration of the Hudson-Fulton centenary at Troy, New York, October 9th. In 1911 Company H attended the inaugural parade of the governor at Albany, New York, January 1st, and later a tour of field service at the Brigade Camp at Pine Plains, New York. In 1912 First Lieutenant Geesler and Second Lieutenant Putman resigned. Henry E. Greene was commissioned first lieutenant, and Karl Isburgh second lieutenant. July 3-7th the company had a tour of field service with the battalion at Sacandaga Park, New York, and, on October 18th, paraded with the regiment at the dedication of the Saratoga Battle Monument at Schuylerville, New York. In 1913 the company attended the inauguration ceremonies of President Wilson at Washington, D. C., March 1-6th; Captain Hicks retired; First Lieutenant Greene promoted captain, and Second Lieutenant Isburgh promoted first lieutenant; Stewart D. Tiffany commissioned second lieutenant.

In 1914 First Lieutenant Isburgh was promoted captain and regimental adjutant, and Second Lieutenant Tiffany promoted first lieutenant. The company won the Dupont Trophy for the second highest record for rifle practice in the state, also the National Trophy presented by the United States to the organization in each state attaining the highest figure of merit in rifle practice during the year.

In 1915 Walter C. Yund was commissioned second lieutenant. January 1st the company attended the inaugural parade of the governor at Albany, New York. The company won the Dupont Trophy for the first highest record for rifle practice in the state, also the National Trophy presented by the United States to the organization in each state attaining the highest figure of merit in rifle practice during the year. This was the first time since this trophy was established that a company had won it two years in succession.

In 1916 First Lieutenant Tiffany was promoted captain of Machine Gun Company, Second Lieutenant Yund promoted first lieutenant, and Wright Shuttleworth commissioned second lieutenant. June 19th orders were received to assemble for duty on the Mexican border; June 23rd, Federal oath administered; June 25th, entrained for Camp Whitman, New York, with three officers and over 150 men. This was the first time in history that a National Guard company responded to the call of the President recruited to full war strength and fully equipped for active field service, including a toothbrush and comb for each man. Herewith is a roster of the company:

Captain: Greene, Henry E.

First Lieutenant: Yund, Walter C.

Second Lieutenant: Shuttleworth, Wright.

First Sergeant: Waldron, George G.

Supply Sergeant: Stephens, Felix.

Mess Sergeant: Boswell, John A.

Sergeants: Lansing, William H., Stover, Charles F., Goodman, Harold C., Bergen, James T., Haskins, John E., McCleary, Samuel W., Quist, Harry B., Charles, William B., Jr.

Corporals: Cross, Thomas J., Brown, Thomas F., Quist, Frederick H., Brumagin, Freeman M., Smith, Frederick H., Vollmer, Henry, Warner, John J., Wright, Edmund G., Smith, Merrill E., Gangne, Charles J., Jr., MacKittrick, William R., Turner, William H., Jr., Brumley, Smith W., Jr., Brumagin, Robert B., Fox, Howard E.

Musicians: Smyth, Ralph V., Hoefs, Arthur W.

Mechanics: Abeling, Frederick L., Nicholas, William F.

Cooks: Jacoby, Zachariah R., Phillips, Leon M., Decatur, Beecher E.

Wagoners: Knack, Charles F., Snyder, William C.

Privates: Adamowicz, Casimir, Albrecht, Fred, Anderson, Archibald D., Anderson, William, Arthurs, Joseph, Baldwin, Russell C., Barkhuff, Harold C., Bisnett, Frank J., Black, James R., Boyd, Robert A., Brayman, Harold C., Brown, Chauncey N., Buckley, Timothy C., Campbell, Lewis N., Carbonelli, Alphonso, Carero, Anthony B., Carrtta, William, Carey, John E., Clark, Edward, Collyer, George E., Coessens, Louis E., Covey, Floyd E., Cross, Ray S., Davis, Alfred, Davis, Perry K., Denton, Nelson R., Devine, James T., Dixon, Clarence A., Domrasky, Paul J., Doyle, William S., Duncovich, Frank W. [spelled Duncovitch below], Dwyer, Francis J., Faurot, James, Febbie, Alexander A., Fields, Edward E., Fischer, John, Frazier, Aaron J., Fredericks, Harold, Fox, Howard E., Gage, Leland H., Gangne, George E. J., Glazer, Benjamin, Goodman, Leland J., Greehe, William T., Green, John H. (Co. Clerk), Guyne, Arthur, Hall, Walter H., Hammond, Raymond, Harrison, Robert J., Hindle, Harry S., Hunter, Robert, Jiambottisti, Anthony, Kannler, Harold, Kelly, Russell L., Koch, George A., Koch, John J., Kruger, Emil, Jr., Lape, John J., Jr., Lavendowsky, Edward, Laskowsky, Frank, Liddle, John, Logan, Raymond D., McDowell, Samuel J., McGahan, Thomas E., Machals, Harry, MacKittrick, Thomas, Mann, Jacob, Mau, Leonard A. F., Merrill, Ayres P., Jr., Mitchell, John, Mittler, Ralph, Morrell, Nicholas, Morton, Charles E., Munn, Alois J., Mushaw, Albert G., Nasar, James, Nelson, Samuel V., Newkirk, Walter, Niemzyck [Niemczyk?], John, Palmatier, Clarence E., Phillips, Nilus P., Phoenix, Ernest T., Prill, Frank, Plantz, George W., Putnam, Harry D., Quackenbush, Walter, Quinlan, John W., Reed, Samuel J., Relyea, Bert, Rogers, Peter, Rogers, Frank M. S., Romano, John, Ross, Archie H., Ross, Nicholas, Ruck, Louis E., Russell, Albert A., Sagatis, John, Salce, Antonio, Salvatore, Joseph, Savoy, Fred, Schwemm, Frederick C., Seabury, Raymond B., Seely, William, Sheridan, Edward E., Siegle, Daniel, Slater, William L., Snyder, William G., Starin, Myndert H., Strack, Amil O., Strack, William B., Stearns, Frank J., Swart, James H., Sweet, Louis, Symington, Thomas, Terwilliger, William P., Thackrah, Thurlow E., Thompson, Frederick J., Turner, John T., Ulrich, George, Van Derhoof, William D., Vollmer, Charles, Voorhees, William K., Wardwell, Leon E., Weed, John C., Whitbeck, Garrett E., Whitney, Harry D., Whitney, Wilbur S., Wickham, Alden A., Wilde, Herbert R., Zigmunt, Stanislaw A., Zotti, Nicholas

On July 1st, 1916, the company was mustered into United States service; July 7th, entrained for the Mexican border, arriving at Mission, Texas, July 15th, where they did patrol duty till early in September, when they moved to Sterling's Ranch, and from there to Pharr, Texas; left Pharr September 22nd and arrived at the home station September 29th, where they were mustered out of United States service on October 19th, 1916. In October, 1916, Captain Greene was assigned as regimental adjutant and First Lieutenant Yund was in command till December 1st, when he was placed on the retired list and Second Lieutenant Shuttleworth was placed in command. In March, 1917, Lieutenant Shuttleworth was promoted captain, James T. Bergen commissioned first lieutenant, and Thomas F. Brown second lieutenant.

In June, 1916, a depot company was organized under orders from General Headquarters, and Van B. Wheaton was commissioned captain and mustered in as United States recruiting officer, and on July 25th a casual company of fifty-four men from this company and forty-four men from the other depot companies in the regiment were taken to Fort Hamilton, New York, under the command of Captain Wheaton, with Lieut. Melvin W. Lethbridge as transportation officer, and turned over to Captain Gilbreth of the United States Army as recruits to fill vacancies in the original regiment due to discharges, deaths and transfers. Upon the return of the parent company, the depot company was placed in reserve.

Pending declaration of war with Germany the President called the regiment into service and the company assembled, on March 25, 1917, at its armory and was mustered into the United States service as Company H, Second New York Infantry, N. G. U. S. (the new designation), and left the home station April 1st, under the command of Capt. Wright Shuttleworth, First Lieut. James T. Bergen and Second Lieut. Thomas F. Brown, for service guarding the public utilities in the state. Herewith is a roster of the men who were members of the company between March 25th, 1917, and April 1st, 1919, with explanatory remarks:

"W in A", stands for "Wounded in Action"; "K in A," stands for "Killed in Action."

A: Abeling, Frederick L. (W. in A.), Albrecht, Fred, Antinofi, O'Neil (W. in A.), Anderson, Archibald D., Anderson, William, Arthurs

B: Joseph Baier, Charles J., Jr. (D. of W.), Baldwin, Russell C., Barkhuif, Harold C., (W. in A.), Bates, Charles N., Bergen, James T. (1st Lt., K. in A.), Bianchi, Louis (D. in S.), Bishop, Clifton H. (Cited Com. 2nd Lt.), Blackbird, Roy A., Bly, Chester B. (W. in A.) Bradt, Guy E., Brayman, Harold W., Brown, Chauncey N., Brown, Elmer (W. in A.), Brown, John L., Brown, Thomas F. (2nd Lt. Promoted 1st Lt. Cited. W. in A.) Brumagin, Freeman, Buckley, Timothy C.

C: Cady, William J., Campbell, Lewis N., Campbell, Leo D., Capel, Peter (W. in A.), Carbonelli, Michael W., Carero, Anthony B. (W. in A.), Carp, Stanley J. (W. in A.), Carrtta, William (W. in A.) Charles, William B. (Com. 1st Lt.), Christman, Henry O. (W. in A.), Clark, Edward H., Clark, Theodore M., Coessens, Louis E., Collyer, George, Colts, Charles, Congdon, Clyde L., Conlon, Morton J., Connery, Michael J. (Com. 2nd Lt.), Conniff, Edward J., Conrad, Edward J. (W. in A.), Covey, Floyd R., Cowalski, Joseph (W. in A.), Crawford, Walter V., Cross, Thomas J. (Com. 2nd Lt.), Curcio, Michael (W. in A.), Curran, John P. (W. in A.)

D: Davis, Perry K., Decatur, Beecher E., Decker, Gordon L. (W. in A.), De Hart, William H., Jr., Denton, Nelson R., De Rosie, Edward, Devine, James J., Dixon, Clarence A. (W. in A.), Dodds, William N., Dornburg, William, Jr., Doyle, William S., Duncovitch, Frank W. [spelled Duncovich above]

E-F: Ehmke, Ernest W. (W. in A.), Faurot, James, Febbie, Alexander A. (W. in A.), Fields, Edward, Frank, Horace, Frazier, Aaron J., Fredericks, Harold, Furman, Andrew, Fusmer, Homer W.

G: Gage, Leland H. (W. in A.), Gangne, Charles J., Jr., Gangne, George E. J. (K. in A.), Gillis, James W., Glaser, Benjamin L., Goodman, Leland A., Gordon, Harold (W. in A.), Greehe, William T., Green, John H., Guyne, Arthur

H: Hall, Walter, Harris, Alfred L. (W. in A.), Harrison, Robert J. (Cited), Hawkins, Dana (W. in A.), Hewitt, Roscoe, Hickok, Arthur D., Hildreth, Albert G. (W. in A.), Hoefs, Arthur W., Holmes, John, Hopkins, James W., Jr., Hughes, George, Hughes, John

J: Jacoby, Zachariah R., Jiambottisti, John (W. in A.), Johnson, Chester L., Johnson, Milo, Johnson, Raymond, Juedes, Walter H.,

K: Kane, James A. Kane, Edward M., Kaufman, Edward D. (W. in A.), Kelly, Russell L. (W. in A.), Kelly, William E., Kent, John, King, John, Kinney, Edward R., Knack, Charles F., Kobiezeuski, Felix, Koch, Albert J., Jr., Koch, George A., Konetchy, Teddy, Kresser, Donald J., Kromforth, Herman F., Kruger, Emil, Jr., Krupzack, Albert J., Kulakowski, Joseph M.

L: Lansing, William H., Lape, John J., Jr., Lasher, Chester (Deserted), Lesperance, Leland G., L'Homadieu, Leonard I. (Com. 2nd Lt.), Liddle, John (Com. 2nd Lt.), Litynski, Albert, Logan, Raymond D., Long, Vernon, Lowery, Albert, Lowry, Joseph

M: McCarthy, James A. (W. in A.), McCarthy, John C. (K. in A.), McCauliff, Eddie, McCauliff, Patrick (K. in A.), McCleary, Samuel W., McDowell, Samuel J., McGahan, Thomas E. (W. in A.), McGuigan, Thomas A. (W. in A.), McGuigan, William P., Machals, Harry, MacKittrick, Thomas, MacKittrick, William R. (W. in A.), Mahoney, Joseph E. (W. in A.), Marsh, Hiram H., Masten, Walter H., Matt, Frank A., Mau, Leonard A. F. (W. in A.), Meehan, William E., Mentor, Edgar, Miller, Harold F., Mitchell, John P., Morrell, Nicholas, Morrison, Elmer H., Morton, Charles E., Munn, Alois I. (W. in A.)

N-O: Nadeau, Roland, Nasar, James, Nelson, Samuel V., Nelson, Stanley A. (W. in A.), Nicholas, William F., Niemczyk, John J., Ormsby, E. Harrison (1st Lt. and Asst. Surg.), Odell, Elliott D.

P: Pabis, Theodore P., Palmatier, Clarence E., Palmer, Thomas, Peters, Edward W., Phillips, Nilus P. (Com 2nd Lt.), Phoenix, Ernest T., Picinich, John, Pinchin, Harold I., Porter, Lennie, Powers, William J., Prill, Frank, Putman, Hairy P. (British Mil. Med.)

Q-R: Quackenbush, James P., Quackenbush, Walter, Quist, Frederick H., Quist, Harry B., Reed, Samuel J., Reiff, William C. (W. in A.), Reisler, Clarence B. (W. in A.), Relyea, Bert, Richards, Henry G., Rogers, Francis G. (W. in A.), Rogers, Frank M. S., Rogers, Joseph V. (W. in A.), Rogers, Kenneth S., Rogers, Peter J., Romano, John R., Ross, Nicholas, Ruck, Louis E., Russell, Albert A., Ryderowicz, Frank (W. in A.)

S: Sagatis, John G., Sager, Raymond P. (W. in A.), Salce, Antonio (W. in A.), Salvatore, Joseph, Savoy, Fred, Schultz, Ivan F., Schwemm, Fred, Seabury, Raymond B. (K. in A.), Seeley, William, Selby, Ralph T., Shaw, Daniel E., Shuttleworth, Wright (Capt.), Slater, William L., Smith, Bert G. (W. in A.), Smith, Frederick H., Smith, Merrill E. (Com. 2nd Lt.), Smith, Victor P., Smith, Willard R. (Com. 2nd Lt.), Smyth, Ralph V., Snell, Guy E., Snyder, William C., Snyder, William G., Spodol, Albert, Spencer, David P., Sperry, Harold C., Stearns, Frank J., Stephens, Felix, Stevens, William E., Stevens, Carl W. (Com. 2nd Lt.), Stolarczyk, Alexander (W. in A.), Stover, Charles F., Strack, William B. (W. in A.), Swart, James H., Symeolon, John (W. in A.),

T-V: Thackrah, Benjamin, Jr. (W. in A. Cited), Thackrah, Thurlow, Terwilliger, William P. (Com. 2nd Lt.), Topping, Thomas (W. in A.), Topping, John, Travers, Louis F. (W. in A.), Turner, William H., Jr., Turner, John T., Ulrich, Alfred A., Ulrich, George, Varmette, Dewey L., Vollmer, Henry, Van Derhoof, William D. (D. in S.)

W-Z: Ward, Joseph T. (W. in A.), Waterman, Frederick H., Jr. (K. in A.), Weed, J. Carl (K. in A.), Weineger, Frank C., Wells, Ernest J. (W. in A.), Wheeler, Arthur H. (K. in A.), Whitbeck, Garrett E., Whitney, Harry D., Whitney, Wilbur S., Wickham, Alden A., Wilde, Herbert R., Wiecek, Pietro, Wilsey, Leslie, Winkel, Anthony (W. in A.), Wood, Edward F., Wright, Edmund G. (Cited), Wyszomirski, John J., (K. in A.), Wyzykowski, William (W. in A.), Zotti, Nicholas (W. in A.), Zigmunt, Stanislaw

The company remained on guard duty till about August 1st, 1917, when the regiment was assembled at South Schenectady, New York, the reserve men called to the colors and all property transferred from the state to the Federal government. On August 15th the regiment left South Schenectady for Island City, Long Island, where they remained for about one month, leaving there for Camp Wadsworth, Spartansburg, South Carolina, where they went into intensive training for active service. On October 12th the regimental designation was changed from Second New York Infantry, N. G. U. S., to the One Hundred and fifth Infantry, U. S. A.

In May, 1918, the One Hundred and Fifth Regiment left Spartansburg, South Carolina, for Newport News, sailing from there on May 18th and arriving in Brest, France, May 30th, where they disembarked and left for the front line in Belgium as part of the Twenty-seventh Division, and as such took part in the following events. The First Sector was a defensive sector. First came the East Poperinghe line, July 9th to August 20th. Then the Dickebusch Sector, August 21st to August 30th. Their first attack was a part of the Ypres-Lys offensive, and they took part in it at Vierstadt Ridge August 31st, September 1st and 2nd. This was in Belgium.

Shortly after this attack and a short rest, the company was moved with the rest of the division to the north of France, where, beginning on September 27th, it participated in the Somme offensive. On September 27th it was in action at the Knoll. On September 29th the main Hindenburg attack started, and the One Hundred and Fifth was at Bony, St. Quentin, Quillemont Farm and Quenemont Farm on that day and the next. After a rest, the attack as for as we were concerned was continued, on October 17th and 18th, at the La Selle River, which includes St. Souplef and Jonc De Mer Ridge. On October 19th and 20th the company was in action at St. Maurice River and Catillon, towards Cambrai.

Following this the regiment went into rest station and remained there till ordered home, sailing from Brest, France, February 26, 1919, and arriving at Hoboken March 6, 1919, and going from there to Camp Mills, Long Island, until the parade of the Twenty-seventh Division in New York City, in which they took part, and from there to Camp Upton, Long Island, where they were demobilized and mustered out of the United States service on April 1st, 1919.

Meanwhile Company H, Depot Battalion, was placed on active duty, under the command of Captain Wheaton, guarding the State Armory, and on August 7th, 1917, under Captain Wheaton, First Lieutenant Geesler and Second Lieutenant Sleezer, with 138 enlisted men, they relieved a part of the Second Infantry guarding the Barge Canal from Cranesville, three miles below Amsterdam, to Oswego, New York, and remained on duty till after the Armistice. On November 30, 1918, they were relieved from duty and ordered to the home station. During this period, Captain Wheaton was promoted to major, and Captain Hughes assigned to command of the company. The company continued as Company H, Second New York Infantry, till January 20, 1920, when it was federalized and mustered into service as Company H, Second Infantry, N. G. S. N. Y., under command of Capt. Thomas F. Brown, First Lieut. Peter J. Rogers and Second Lieut. William H. Howe, who later resigned and was succeeded by Robert H. Harrison, who became first lieutenant on resignation of Lieutenant Rogers. Beecher E. Decatur was commissioned second lieutenant, who upon his resignation was succeeded by Harry D. Whitney as second lieutenant.

The officers of the company on December 1, 1924, were Capt. Thomas F. Brown, First Lieut. Robert H. Harrison and Second Lieut. Wilbur S. Whitney. The company during its existence has had two members who completed twenty-five years' active service with it, Capt. George Hughes, retired with twenty-five year long service medal, and Pvt. Melvin W. Lethbridge, breveted second lieutenant, retired with twenty-five year long service medal.

The company letter was changed from H to G on the reorganization of the regiment to conform with the United States Army tables of organization for infantry. Its present designation is Company G, One Hundred and Fifth Infantry, Fifty-third Brigade, Twenty-seventh Division, N. G. S. N. Y.

Go to top of page | back to: Chapter 92 | ahead to: Chapter 93

You are here: Home » Resources » MVGW Home » Chapter 92A

http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/resources/mvgw/history/092a.html updated August 23, 2010

Copyright 2010 Schenectady Digital History Archive — a service of the Schenectady County Public Library