This page conforms to the XHTML standard and uses style sheets. If your browser doesn't support these, you may not see the page as designed, but all the text is still accessible to you.

SCHENECTADY DIGITAL HISTORY ARCHIVE

Bringing the heritage of Schenectady County, New York to the world since 1996

You are here: Home » Resources » MVGW Home » Biographies » Frank Burton

History of the Mohawk Valley: Gateway to the West 1614-1925
Frank Burton

Index to All Biographies | Index to Biographies by County: Fulton, Herkimer, Montgomery, Oneida, Schenectady, Schoharie | Search by keyword

Go to previous biography: John Arthur Breen | next biography: Walter F. Roberts

[This information is from Vol. IV, pp. 73-74 of History of the Mohawk Valley: Gateway to the West 1614-1925, edited by Nelson Greene (Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1925). It is in the Reference collection of the Schenectady County Public Library at R 974.7 G81h. This online edition includes lists of portraits, maps and illustrations. As noted by Paul Keesler in his article, "The Much Maligned Mr. Greene," some information in this book has been superseded by later research or was provided incorrectly by local sources.]

Contents | Portraits | Illustrations | Maps

Frank Burton, who retired from active law practice after a successful professional career covering more than a third of a century, has long been numbered among the leading and highly esteemed citizens of Gloversville, where he has always made his home. He is a worthy representative of one of the most prominent families in the Mohawk valley. His great-great-grandfather, Judah Burton, who served with the rank of major in the Revolutionary war, was the founder of Burtonsville, Montgomery county, New York. Frank Burton was born in Gloversville, Fulton county, on the 16th of January, 1861, his parents being Seth C. and Harriet (Judson) Burton, the former a native of Charleston, Montgomery county, New York, and the latter of Kingsboro, Fulton county, this state. Both were of English descent.

The youthful days of Frank Burton were largely devoted to the acquirement of an education. He was graduated from the high school at Gloversville as a member of the class of 1878 and next matriculated in Union College, which institution conferred upon him the degree of Bachelor of Arts in 1883. The same year he took up the study of law in the office of Judge A. D. L. Baker of Gloversville, who directed his reading until he was admitted to the bar in November, 1885. It was in 1886 that Mr. Burton entered into copartnership with Judge Baker, of whom he remained an associate through a period of thirty-six years, or until 1922, when both retired from active law practice. Mr. Burton gained a well deserved reputation as an attorney of marked ability and was accorded an extensive clientage in recognition of his successful handling of important litigated interests. Since his retirement he has served as counsel for the law firm of Baker & Maider in Gloversville. Aside from his professional activity Mr. Burton became connected in an official capacity with a number of important corporate interests. He is still a director and vice president of the Fulton County National Bank of Gloversville, director and general counsel of the Fonda, Johnstown & Gloversville Railroad Company, director and vice president of the Coal Company of Fulton County, Incorporated, and director of E. S. Parkhurst & Company, Incorporated, of Gloversville. In the successful control of these his cooperation and counsel are considered valuable assets.

On the 15th of June, 1887, in Gloversville, Mr. Burton was united in marriage to Miss Emma McNab, a native of Gloversville, and a daughter of John and Eliza (Clark) McNab, the former of Scotch and the latter of English lineage. John McNab was a prominent business man and capitalist of Gloversville for many years. Mr. and Mrs. Burton are the parents of three children, namely: Lillian McNab, living in New York; Elizabeth Ashley, who is a resident of Gloversville; and John McNab, who makes his home in New York.

Mr. Burton is a stanch supporter of the republican party and takes an active interest in all matters pertaining to community welfare but has never aspired to political preferment. He made a creditable record as trustee of the village of Gloversville from 1889 to 1890, as alderman of the city of Gloversville from 1890 to 1892 and as a member of the school board of Gloversville from 1892 until 1895. He is now serving as trustee and chairman of the board of the Gloversville Free Library and has been a trustee of Union College of Schenectady from 1916 to 1924. His religious faith is indicated by his membership in the Congregational church of Gloversville, of which he is a deacon, and he likewise belongs to the Eccentric Club of Gloversville, the Elks lodge of Gloversville and the Antlers Country Club of Montgomery and Fulton Counties. Mr. Burton has remained a resident of Gloversville from his birth to the present time, and that his career has been an upright and honorable one in every relation is evidenced in the fact that those who know him best are his warmest friends and most sincere admirers.

Go to top of page | previous biography: John Arthur Breen | next biography: Walter F. Roberts

You are here: Home » Resources » MVGW Home » Biographies » Frank Burton

http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/resources/mvgw/bios/burton_frank.html updated May 20, 2012

Copyright 2012 Schenectady Digital History Archive — a service of the Schenectady County Public Library