This page conforms to the XHTML standard and uses style sheets. If your browser doesn't support these, you may not see the page as designed, but all the text is still accessible to you.


Bringing the heritage of Schenectady County, New York to the world since 1996

You are here: Home » People » BRGSS Home » Biographies » Frederick Leross Frazee

Biographical Review: Greene, Schoharie and Schenectady Counties, New York
Frederick Leross Frazee

Index to All Biographies | Index to Biographies by County: Greene, Schenectady, Schoharie | Portraits | Search by keyword

Go to previous biography: Walton Van Loan | next biography: Jacob L. Kilts

[This information is from pp. 79-80 of Biographical Review Volume XXXIII: Containing Life Sketches of Leading Citizens of Greene, Schoharie and Schenectady Counties, New York (Boston: Biographical Review Publishing Company, 1899). It is in the collection of the Grems-Doolittle Library of the Schenectady County Historical Society at 920 BIO.]

Frederick Leross Frazee, the editor and proprietor of the Jefferson Courier, Jefferson, N. Y., was born in the town of Gilboa, N. Y., June 24, 1872. His father, Charles Osborn Frazee, is a much respected and well-to-do farmer.

Mr. Frazee traces his paternal ancestry back to Benoni Frazee, his great-great-grandfather, who was of Scotch descent, and who during the Revolutionary War was a resident of New Jersey and aided the patriot cause by hauling supplies for the American army. Benoni Frazee lost his little property through the worthlessness of Continental money. With his wife and eight children, he migrated, about the year 1783, to Schoharie County, then almost an unbroken wilderness, and settled on a farm one mile from the present village of Gilboa. Very soon thereafter he died, leaving his widow and children to take care of themselves.

Benjamin, the second son, who was born March 8, 1774, remained on the farm with his mother until he became a man. About the year 1797 he married Margaret Monfort, of Dutch lineage. Two years later he settled on the farm now known as the Frazee homestead, at South Gilboa. He had five children, two sons and three daughters. He died August 11, 1862, aged eighty-eight years.

Hiram, the second son of Benjamin Frazee, was born November 19, 1804, and until his death, which occurred April 2, 1850, he lived on the farm with his father. On February 13, 1833, Hiram Frazee married Phoebe H. Osborn, by whom he had five children, only two of whom survived him.

Charles Osborn, the father of the subject of this sketch and the eldest son of Hiram Frazee, was born on the ancestral farm, April 27, 1836. After the death of his grandfather he bought the place which is still his home. January 28, 1864, he married Phoebe A. Clark, a descendant of the Clark family of Blenheim. Five children were born of this union, but only two are now living, namely: Harriet Estelle, who is now the wife of John T. Shew, and lives at Harpersfield, where Mr. Shew is engaged in the mercantile business; and Frederick Leross, who is now, as above noted, in the newspaper business at Jefferson.

Frederick Leross Frazee in his early years received a good common-school education, and, entering Stamford Seminary in the fall of 1888, finished a college preparatory course of study there in 1891, receiving a regent's certificate and a diploma, which graduated him from that school. In the fall of the same year he entered Union College at Schenectady, N. Y. Here he pursued his studies for two years.

In college Mr. Frazee was popular both in society and athletics, and stood high in his class. He was a member of his class foot-ball team, and he belongs to the Greek letter society, which is one of the largest and most prosperous college fraternities in the world. On leaving college he returned to his home at South Gilboa and soon after went to the State of Illinois. In 1893 he returned to his former home, where he remained until February, 1894, when he came to Jefferson and embarked in the newspaper business.

The place then supported two newspapers, the Courier and the Schoharie County Chronicle. The former, which was an old established journal, was then edited by George M. Proper, and the latter, founded in 1891 by Albert C. Mayham and Charles H. Shutts, was the property of Mr. Shutts, who has purchased Mr. Mayham's interest in the establishment. Mr. Frazee purchased both of these newspaper plants, and, merging the Chronicle into the Courier, enlarged the same. His career as a newspaper editor has been a successful one. He receives the hearty support of the business men of Jefferson, and a good patronage from the people at large. He is not only a pleasing writer, but a practical printer as well, having learned the mechanical as well as the editorial part of newspaper work, so that he is familiar with all the details of the business. He owns one of the best equipped country offices in the State.

On July 16, 1895, Mr. Frazee assumed matrimonial responsibilities, being united in marriage with Miss Nellie Hubbell, a highly esteemed young lady of Jefferson, daughter of C. B. Hubbell.

Mr. Frazee is a member and an officer of Working Lodge, No. 554, F. & A. M., and also a church member, belonging to the Dutch Reformed church at his former home, South Gilboa. In the spring of 1899 Mr. Frazee was elected Town Clerk of Jefferson for two years by a handsome majority. He is much interested in the welfare and development of his town, is a loyal Republican in politics, and an ardent worker for his party. He possesses a genial disposition, is wide-awake and enterprising, and never can do too much for a friend.

Go to top of page | previous biography: Walton Van Loan | next biography: Jacob L. Kilts

You are here: Home » People » BRGSS Home » Biographies » Frederick Leross Frazee updated March 31, 2015

Copyright 2015 Schenectady Digital History Archive — a service of the Schenectady County Public Library