This page conforms to the XHTML standard and uses style sheets. If your browser doesn't support these, you may not see the page as designed, but all the text is still accessible to you.

SCHENECTADY DIGITAL HISTORY ARCHIVE

Bringing the heritage of Schenectady County, New York to the world since 1996

You are here: Home » Families » HMGFM Home » McKee

Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs:
McKee

Index to All Families | Index to Families by County: Albany, Columbia, Fulton, Greene, Montgomery, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Warren, Washington

Go to previous family: Odell | next family: Hooker

[This information is from Vol. II, pp. 838-839 of Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs, edited by Cuyler Reynolds (New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1911). It is in the Reference collection of the Schenectady County Public Library at R 929.1 R45. Some of the formatting of the original, especially in lists of descendants, may have been altered slightly for ease of reading.]

James McKee was born in Albany, New York, in 1822, died February 11, 1894, the son of English parents, who died when he was very young. He was adopted by a family named Stewart, and taken by them to Michigan, where he remained until he became a young man. Then he returned to his native state, locating at Gloversville, where in 1857 he began the manufacture of buckskin gloves. In 1890 he admitted his son, James F. McKee, a partner under the name James McKee & Son, and continued in active business until his death. He was a man of great energy and high character. He married Polly Ann, daughter of Francis T. and Elizabeth (Dye) Simmons. Child, James Frank, of whom further.

(II) James Frank, son of James and Polly Ann (Simmons) McKee, was born in Gloversville, New York, August 19, 1859, died from a stroke of paralysis, February 18, 1904. He was educated in the public schools, at the Albany military school and Albany Business College, and after finishing his studies at once engaged with his father in the glove manufacturing business. In January, 1890, he was admitted a partner and as James McKee & Son continued until 1894, when he succeeded to the business as his father's sole heir. He was a well-known and prosperous manufacturer and held high positions in his city. He was a member of the first board of aldermen under the city charter, and held very prominent rank in the Masonic order, being past master of Gloversville Lodge, No. 429, Free and Accepted Masons, past high priest of Johnstown Chapter, No. 78, Royal Arch Masons, and past eminent commander of the Holy Cross Commandery, No. 51, Knights Templar, having held the latter office for several years. In Scottish Rite Masonry he had attained the highest possible degree, the thirty-third, at the time the only Mason of the degree in Fulton county. He was also a member of Cyprus Temple, Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He was one of the most popular young men in his city and held in the highest esteem. He held membership in the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and was a member of the Eccentric Club. His funeral, after the private rites, was conducted by Charles A. Armitage, of Albany, with all the Masonic rites and ceremonies belonging to a member holding the exalted degree, the thirty-third. James F. McKee married, February 25, 1892, Clara, born May 21, 1864, daughter of John J. and Nancy J. (Sheldon) Hanson (see Hanson VII). One child, Nan Hanson McKee, born April 15, 1896. Mrs. McKee survives her husband and continues her residence in Gloversville.

(The Hanson Line)

This surname was adopted by the descendants of Captain Hans Hendrickse, who early came to Beverwyck (Albany) from Holland. He had a house lot in Albany on Broadway. He made his will February 12, 1694, and was deceased in 1697. He married Eva Gillise, daughter of Jellis Pieterse Meyer, of Beverwyck, April 26, 1642, in New Amsterdam. He left children Hendrick, Margareta, Visschee, Johanna and Elsje.

(II) Hendrick Hansen, son of Captain Hans Hendrickse, was a merchant of Albany and a trader. His residence in Albany was on the east side of Market street (Broadway), next to Bleecker Hall site. He was appointed mayor of Albany, September 29, 1698, by Governor Richard Cote. He was the fifth mayor appointed under the charter granted Albany by Governor Dongan. He also served as alderman, assemblyman, and Indian commissioner. He was a member of the Dutch Reformed church; he was buried at the Dutch Church, February 19, 1724. He married Debora Van Dorn, September 21, 1692. Children:

  1. Debora, 1693;
  2. Hans (Johannes), born 1695; became the seventeenth mayor of Albany;
  3. Maud, 1697;
  4. Nicholas, of whom further;
  5. Pieter, 1700;
  6. Rykart, 1703;
  7. Catherina Ten Broeck; Jefie, 1705.

(III) Nicholas, son of Mayor Hendrick and Debora (Van Dorn) Hansen, was born September 25, 1698. Before 1725 he settled in the Mohawk Valley at the point known as Tribes Hill, in the towns of Amsterdam and Mohawk, Montgomery county. He was a farmer and owned much land on the north side of the Mohawk river. He married Engeltje, daughter of Barent Wemp, of Dorp [i.e., Schenectady]. He had sons Hendrick, Barent and Pieter.

(IV) Hendrick (Henry), son of Nicholas Hansen, of Albany and Tribes Hill, Montgomery county, was born in 1730. He settled on lands owned by his father and was a farmer all his life. He married and had issue.

(V) Douw, son of Hendrick (Henry) Hansen, was born 1769, died 1845. He married, 1793, Katie Kline. They had five children, including a son Peter.

(VI) Peter Hanson (as the name is now written), son of Douw and Katie (Kline) Hanson, was born in 1802, died December 18, 1855. He married, in 1828, Hannah Stoller, born 1805. Children:

  1. Sarah, married Charles W. Morrell;
  2. Harriet, married John Hammond;
  3. Margaret, married Joseph Martin;
  4. Andrew, married Florence ————;
  5. Abraham, married Eliza Churchill;
  6. Orville, married Almira McKay;
  7. John J., of whom further.

(VII) John J., youngest son of Peter and Hannah (Stoller) Hanson, was born near Tribes Hill, Montgomery county, New York, in 1835, died March 18, 1897. He was reared on the farm and educated in the public schools, where he obtained a good English education. At the age of eighteen he apprenticed himself to the firm of H. G. and J. Phelps, tin and sheet iron workers, with whom he remained two years. He then worked for a firm in Johnstown one year, finishing his trade in Albany, where he passed one year. Having now mastered the details of his trade and acquired a practical business knowledge, he located in Gloversville, where he opened a tin and sheet iron establishment under his own name and for his own profit. Here he remained in business for forty years, enlarging as business required and adding kindred lines. He was a very successful man and acquired a great deal of real estate and other property. He was held in the highest esteem and whenever he asked for the support of his fellow townsmen for political office, always received a most flattering response regardless of party. He was president of the village in 1890, the last man to hold that office, and the first elected mayor under the new city charter. In 1875 he was elected to represent his district in the house of assembly and served with honor. He was always a strong Democrat, but was always mindful of the rights of others to their political preferences and had many warm friends and supporters in the opposing party. He married, in 1861, Nancy J. Sheldon, of Mayfield, daughter of Benjamin Sheldon, born November 6, 1805, married, October 7, 1830, Arvilla P. Merrill, born December 18, 1810, died March 15, 1882. They had seven children: Mary, Louise, Rose, Elizabeth, Adelbert, Alexander and Nancy. Arvilla P. Merrill was a daughter of Rufus Merrill, born 1778, died May 13, 1865, and Mehitable (Wells) Merrill, and a granddaughter of Nathaniel Merrill, who enlisted July 8, 1780, in Captain Joseph Brown's company, Fifteenth Massachusetts Regiment, commanded by Colonel Timothy Bigelow. Children of John J. and Nancy J. (Sheldon) Hanson:

  1. Frances Louise, born October 11, 1861; married, October 11, 1881, Leonard C. Mills.
  2. Clara, born May 21, 1864; married, February 25, 1892, James Frank McKee, and has Nan Hanson McKee, born April 15, 1896 (see McKee II).
  3. Florence, born December 25, 1869; married; September 27, 1887, August Klein, born in Vienna, Austria, July 7, 1864, now a merchant of Gloversville. He is trustee and director of Ferndale cemetery and has other business interests. He is a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and of the Eccentric Club.

Go to top of page | previous family: Odell | next family: Hooker

You are here: Home » Families » HMGFM Home » McKee

http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/families/hmgfm/mckee.html updated February 18, 2011

Copyright 2011 Schenectady Digital History Archive — a service of the Schenectady County Public Library