This page conforms to the XHTML standard and uses style sheets. If your browser doesn't support these, you may not see the page as designed, but all the text is still accessible to you.

SCHENECTADY DIGITAL HISTORY ARCHIVE

Bringing the heritage of Schenectady County, New York to the world since 1996

You are here: Home » Families » HMGFM Home » Mallary

Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs:
Mallary

Index to All Families | Index to Families by County: Albany, Columbia, Fulton, Greene, Montgomery, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Warren, Washington

Go to previous family: Skiff | next family: Kennedy

[This information is from Vol. III, p. 1209 of Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs, edited by Cuyler Reynolds (New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1911). It is in the Reference collection of the Schenectady County Public Library at R 929.1 R45. Some of the formatting of the original, especially in lists of descendants, may have been altered slightly for ease of reading.]

Ebenezer Mallary, son of John Sheldon Mallary, was born July, 1802, died at his residence between Cohoes and West Troy, New York, July 28, 1876. He started in the coal business in Troy in 1848, removing to that city from South Shaftsbury, Vermont. He continued in business in Troy until his death and had at that time built up the largest coal business in the city. He was a member of the Presbyterian church and a Republican in politics. He married Deborah Abigail Oothout, born at the Oothout homestead, October 27, 1803, died December 21, 1888, daughter of Volkert Dow and Deborah Abigail (Swits) Oothout. Volkert Dow Oothout was born on the old Oothout homestead between Cohoes and West Troy, 1773, died June 2, 1861, at the same place. The Oothouts were large landowners, owning all of Green Island from the early settlement of the family in Albany county until it was sold and became part of the Tibbitts estate. The old homestead referred to was erected of bricks brought from Holland. Their holdings of real estate included historic ground and perhaps a battlefield, as in an earlier day cannon balls and other evidences of warfare were often uncovered by the plow. The house was used as a garrison and place of refuge during the various wars that the settlers waged against white foes and red. The family was prominent in the Dutch church, West Troy, Volkert Dow Oothout being a deacon.

(II) Theodore Augustus, only son of Ebenezer and Deborah Abigail (Oothout) Mallary, was born in Shaftsbury, Vermont, October 14, 1835. When he was a year old his parents removed to Troy, New York, where he was educated in the academy and select school. After leaving school he was taken into the coal business with his father, and after the retirement of the latter continued the business alone. He resided in Troy until 1881, when he built a beautiful residence outside the city between West Troy and Cohoes. He was a very successful business man and had a large and well-established trade. His death was tragic and deeply regretted. He was drowned December 7, 1883, in the Erie canal, while trying it is presumed, to recover his hat that had blown off. He was a Republican in politics, but would never accept office. He was an attendant and generous supporter of the Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church of Troy. He was a member of the Masonic order in which he had attained the thirty-second degree. He married, March 23, 1864, Martha A., daughter of Louis Fellows, of Columbia county, New York, who was born in 1806, educated in the common schools, and became a noted contractor and builder; he early settled in Troy where most of his life was spent He lost his father at an early age, and he was reared by an uncle, George Shufelt, father of Admiral Shufelt of the United States navy. Among the many large operations successfully carried on and completed by Mr. Fellows was the Burden Water Wheel at Troy, the largest ever constructed, of which great results were hoped in developing horse power for running mill and factory machinery. He was a Republican in politics, was alderman and supervisor and held other positions of trust. He was a member of the West Sand Lake Lutheran Church, but attended the Methodist church in Troy. The farm on which Louis Fellows was born in Columbia county adjoined that of President Martin Van Buren. The old homestead is still standing and is one of the old and interesting landmarks of that section. Louis Fellows married, May 25, 1833, Katherine E. Clickner, born August 12, 1812, at Brunswick, New York, died February 24, 1852, at Troy. Mr. and Mrs. Mallary had one son, Augustus Lothrop, see forward. Mrs. Mallary survives her husband and is a resident of Cohoes, 118 Saratoga avenue, North Side.

(III) Augustus Lothrop, only son of Theodore Augustus and Martha A. (Fellows) Mallary, was born June 13, 1865. He was educated in public schools and Troy Business College. He is engaged as head bookkeeper in the Waterford Knitting Mills, where he has been employed for twenty years or more. In politics he is a Republican, and a member of the Silliman Memorial Church of Cohoes. He is a member of the Masonic order and has attained the thirty-second degree in the Scottish Rite. He belongs to Oriental Temple, Mystic Shrine, and is a member of the Waterford Country Club. He married, October 6, 1886, Harriet Field Clough. Children:

  1. Harold Theodore, born September 21, 1887; graduate of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, civil engineer, class of 1910.
  2. Carlton Lothrop, born July 26, 1902.

Go to top of page | previous family: Skiff | next family: Kennedy

You are here: Home » Families » HMGFM Home » Mallary

http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/families/hmgfm/mallary.html updated July 30, 2009

Copyright 2009 Schenectady Digital History Archive — a service of the Schenectady County Public Library