This page conforms to the XHTML standard and uses style sheets. If your browser doesn't support these, you may not see the page as designed, but all the text is still accessible to you.

SCHENECTADY DIGITAL HISTORY ARCHIVE

Bringing the heritage of Schenectady County, New York to the world since 1996

You are here: Home » Families » HMGFM Home » Kennedy

Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs:
Kennedy

Index to All Families | Index to Families by County: Albany, Columbia, Fulton, Greene, Montgomery, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Warren, Washington

Go to previous family: Argersinger | next family: Banker

[This information is from Vol. III, pp. 1151-1152 of Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs, edited by Cuyler Reynolds (New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1911). It is in the Reference collection of the Schenectady County Public Library at R 929.1 R45. Some of the formatting of the original, especially in lists of descendants, may have been altered slightly for ease of reading.]

The Kennedys of Fulton county, New York, have been natives there for the past century. The village of West Galway, part of which lies in Saratoga county, was the home of James C. Kennedy, a wealthy farmer and influential citizen. He was justice of the peace many years and served his district one term in the state legislature. He was an officer of the war of 1812, and a prominent member of the Presbyterian church. He married Lucinda Grinnell, of Saratoga county, New York. Children:

  1. Ezra; married ————; one child.
  2. Lorens, married Caroline Cook; children: Harvey, James, William, Jennie.
  3. Lucinda, married Daniel Stewart.
  4. James, married Julia Rathbone.
  5. Martin, see forward.
  6. Harvey, married Helen Van De Veer.
  7. William, married Maggie Edwards; children: William, Harvey, Daniel.

(II) Martin, youngest son of James C. and Lucinda (Grinnell) Kennedy, was born in West Galway, Fulton county, New York, October 1, 1829, died August 21, 1905, in Johnstown. He was educated in the town schools, and reared upon the farm. He had no taste for farm labor, determining instead on a mercantile life. He opened a hardware store in West Galway, and carried on a small business there several years; then removed to Johnstown, New York, where he established in the same business, near the old Cayadutta Hotel, on Main street. He remained in that location until 1857, when he removed to the Kennedy building, whose erection he had superintended, located on the opposite side of the street from his store. He became a very successful merchant and continued in business until 1890, when he retired and turned the store over to his sons, who continued it for a time under the name of Kennedy Brothers. In 1895 they sold out their interests to the present firm of John A. Rice & Company. He was one of the first board of directors of the People's Bank of Johnstown. Mr. Kennedy was in active business in Johnstown for forty years, and secured the regard and confidence of his community to an unusual degree. He was known for his absolute integrity and square dealing as well as for his business ability and sound judgment. The financial success he achieved was earned by honest, conscientious methods and an untiring energy. He gave much attention to real estate dealing after retiring from commercial life, and was the owner of a large estate comprising improved and unimproved property. He was quiet and modest in manner and never sought to be in the public eye personally, yet actively seconded all movements tending to promote the general welfare. He was a Democrat in politics, never seeking or accepting public office. He was one of the organizers of the People's Bank, served on the first board of directors, and was a member at the time of his death. He was also a director of the Johnstown Savings Bank and of the street railway company. He was village trustee, and for many years trustee of the cemetery association. He was a Presbyterian in religious faith, and for thirty years served the Johnstown church as trustee, much of the time being president of the board. He was devoted to his home and family, belonging to neither fraternities nor clubs.

Mr. Kennedy married, May 22, 1851, Elizabeth Ann Clark, born at West Galway, Fulton county, May 12, 1831, daughter of Asa W. and Catherine Ann (Ox) Clark, and granddaughter of Asa and Deborah (Perkins) Clark. Asa Clark was one of the first settlers of Galway town, coming there when deep forests covered the entire county. He cleared away the timber and founded his home on the farm yet known as the Clark farm. He was a deacon in the Presbyterian church, and a man of influence in the town. Asa W. Clark was one of a family of five children. Catherine Ann (Ox) Clark, wife of Asa W. Clark, was the daughter of Jonathan and Deborah (Mabon) Ox. Children of Asa W. and Catherine Ann (Ox) Clark:

  1. Hiram, deceased; was a resident of Gloversville; married; children: Elizabeth and Hiram, Jr.
  2. Elizabeth Ann, married Martin Kennedy, aforementioned.
  3. Deborah, married Hinton C. Mabor [Mabon?], and had issue; reside in Iowa.
  4. Catherine, married Aaron Roberts, and had Elizabeth and Kate Roberts; reside in Michigan.

Children of Martin and Elizabeth Ann (Clark) Kennedy:

  1. Julia R., born August 19, 1852; married Matthew D. Moore; reside in Amsterdam; they have a daughter, Elizabeth K., married John McGregor, and has a daughter, Julia McGregor.
  2. Libbie K., born December 29, 1855; married William T. Briggs; children: Rachel; Elizabeth K., Everett, Thomas; reside in Johnstown.
  3. Everett M., born January 28, 1860, in Johnstown, New York; educated in the public school of that city; was admitted to business with his father on reaching man's estate, and on the retirement of the latter in 1890 succeeded to the business with his brother James as Kennedy Brothers; he is a member of the Presbyterian church, and the Lotus and Colonial clubs.
  4. James C., born in Johnstown, May 22, 1864; was educated in the city public schools and at business college; he was also admitted to his father's business, and was of the firm of Kennedy Brothers; member of the Lotus Club.
  5. Martin, Jr., born in Johnstown, April 10, 1875; educated in the city schools and at Ossinning (New York) Military Academy, where he prepared for college; he entered Yale University, where he was graduated, class of 1896; after leaving college he formed a partnership with Edward J. Lucas, and has since engaged in glove manufacture at Johnstown; he is a member of the Presbyterian church, and of the Masonic order, affiliating with St. Patrick Lodge, F. and A. M.; Chapter, R. A. M.; Holy Cross Commandery, K. T., and the A. A. O. N. M. S., of Albany. He is a member of the Colonial Club. He married Margaret, daughter of Philetus Pierson and Catherine (Wells) Argersinger, and has a daughter Eleanor, born April 10, 1906 (see Argersinger IV).

Mrs. Elizabeth Ann (Clark) Kennedy, widow of Martin Kennedy, died at her home, No. 117 South William street, Johnstown, August 30, 1910. She was one of the oldest and best-known residents of Johnstown, and by reason of her social position and fine traits of character possessed a wide circle of friends and acquaintances whose sorrow was genuine upon hearing of her demise. Up to the time of the accident which caused her death (a fall on the porch of her home) she had manifold interests and performed the duties required of her with an energy that goes with good health. She was extremely popular with her friends and devoted to her family, and her loss will be keenly felt by many who were the beneficiaries of her unostentatious charities. She was an active member of the First Presbyterian Church and devoted to the welfare of that congregation. Mrs. Kennedy resided in Johnstown for sixty years, and was therefore able to recall many interesting happenings of the days when the city was but a small village.

Go to top of page | previous family: Argersinger | next family: Banker

You are here: Home » Families » HMGFM Home » Kennedy

http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/families/hmgfm/kennedy-2.html updated July 30, 2009

Copyright 2009 Schenectady Digital History Archive — a service of the Schenectady County Public Library