This page conforms to the XHTML standard and uses style sheets. If your browser doesn't support these, you may not see the page as designed, but all the text is still accessible to you.

SCHENECTADY DIGITAL HISTORY ARCHIVE

Bringing the heritage of Schenectady County, New York to the world since 1996

You are here: Home » Families » HMGFM Home » Dunn

Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs:
Dunn

Index to All Families | Index to Families by County: Albany, Columbia, Fulton, Greene, Montgomery, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Warren, Washington

Go to previous family: Lefevre | next family: Carpenter

[This information is from Vol. III, pp. 1362-1363 of Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs, edited by Cuyler Reynolds (New York: Lewis Historical Publishing Company, 1911). It is in the Reference collection of the Schenectady County Public Library at R 929.1 R45. Some of the formatting of the original, especially in lists of descendants, may have been altered slightly for ease of reading.]

The Dunns of Fort Plain, New York, are of Scotch parentage and birth. Andrew Dunn, the first of the name of whom we have information, was a resident of Glasgow, Scotland, at the time of the birth of his son David, March 22, 1806, but later removed to Kilmarnock, where he died at an advanced age. He was by occupation a calico printer. He was twice married and had several children, among whom was David, a son of his first marriage, see forward.

(II) David, son of Andrew Dunn, was born in Glasgow, Scotland, March 22, 1806. He learned and followed the trade of calico printer in Kilmarnock. In 1842, accompanied by his wife and child, he came to the United States, landing in New York City. Later he went to Fall River, Massachusetts, where he intended entering the print mills, but in consequence of the depressed condition of business, removed to the town of West Galway, Saratoga county, New York, settling over the Montgomery county line. Here he engaged in farming until the spring of 1844 when he removed to Stockport, Columbia county, where he worked at his trade until the destruction of the mills by fire in 1847. He then returned to the Mohawk Valley, spent a year in Little Falls, where he established a rug mill, and then took up his residence in Amsterdam, New York. In 1851 he removed to Fort Plain, whither his son Andrew had removed, and resided there until his death in 1872. He obtained a knowledge of his son's business, jewelry, and assisted him in the management of the store. David Dunn was an Orthodox Scotch Presbyterian, but after locating in Fort Plain associated with the Reformed church; he served as deacon and was ever mindful of his religious obligations. He was a Whig and Republican in politics. He was a member of the Masonic order, having taken his degree in Scotland prior to coming to the United States; he assisted in the foundation of Fort Plain Lodge, No. 433, of which he became a charter member. He married, in Scotland, July 17, 1829, Helen, born February 8, 1808, died March 11, 1884, daughter of Michael Carnduff of Scotch descent. Child: Andrew, see forward.

(III) Andrew (2), son of David and Helen (Carnduff) Dunn, was born in Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, Scotland, August 9, 1831. He was well educated in private schools and academy. He came to the United States with his parents in 1842, and followed the fortunes of his father through the various changes of residence and occupation until he settled in Amsterdam, New York, at which time Andrew was seventeen years of age and ambitious for a permanent occupation and business. He began learning the jeweler's trade, at which he worked continuously until 1851 with James Pooley, of Amsterdam. He became master of his trade, and having accumulated sufficient capital removed to Fort Plain, New York, where he established a jewelry business. He was joined by his father, who remained with him until his death in 1872. In 1855 the business had prospered to such an extent that Andrew Dunn was forced to purchase enlarged quarters, to which since he has added several additions to meet his increasing needs. He is the oldest merchant in the village in point of continuous operation as well as in length of years. In 1880 he admitted his son, David E., to a partnership, and later his son, Andrew, the firm name becoming A. Dunn & Sons. They have not only the leading jewelry store in the village, but of that entire section of the state.

In his long and active life in Fort Plain, covering a period of sixty years, Mr. Dunn has become associated with the leading industries and enterprises of the village, in many cases having been a promoter and organizer. He is one of the four original partners that established the Fort Plain Spring & Axle Works, serving as secretary and treasurer. He was one of the five organizers of Dunn, Smith & Company, Fort Plain Knitting Mills. He was vice-president of the Fort Plain National Bank, has been a director for over forty years, and served as president during the years 1897-98-99. He was secretary and treasurer of the Minden Gas Light Company from its organization in 1864 until its consolidation with the Electric Light Company in 1888, then becoming secretary and treasurer of the Consolidated Company. He is president of the Fort Plain Cemetery Association, serving since 1884, and was treasurer of the board of water commissioners when the municipal system was put in. He joined the Second Presbyterian Church in Amsterdam under Dr. Goodell, in 1849; when he moved to Fort Plain he joined the Reformed church, in which he has been active since 1852; he was elected deacon, serving until 1868, when he was elected an elder, in which capacity he is still serving.

He is well known in village and county and universally respected and loved. He is manly and outspoken in his sentiments, never hesitates in his opinions, yet possesses the happy faculty of making his opponents his friends. He retains the active management of his business and is keenly alive to modern requirements, having able assistants in his sons who are associated with him. He has stood loyal to his village during his sixty years residence, and has led or seconded each succeeding enterprise in its development. Mr. Dunn has had the depository of the Montgomery County Bible Society for over fifty years.

Mr. Dunn married, June 13, 1855, Louese, born September 6, 1829, died April 1, 1905, daughter of Nicholas Gros. Children:

  1. Ellen L.;
  2. David E., member of A. Dunn & Sons; married Grace Aspell, who died November 16, 1909;
  3. Andrew G., a member of A. Dunn & Sons.

Father and sons reside at Fort Plain in the home presided over by the only daughter, Ellen L., who is the regent of the Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution at Fort Plain. The sons are active members of the Masonic order.

Nicholas Gros, father of Mrs. Andrew Dunn was born in 1781, in the fort at Fort Plain, New York. He was a farmer by occupation. He served in the state assembly. He married, in the spring of 1803, Catharine, daughter of Nicholas Dygert, granddaughter of Peter and Mary (Abeel) Dygert, the latter of whom was a descendant of Christopher Janse Abeel, a master builder, who came from Amsterdam, Holland, in 1657, and of his son, John, second mayor of Albany.

Captain Lawrence Gros, grandfather of Mrs. Andrew Dunn, was born in Weibenheim, Duchy of Duxponts, 1745. He was an ardent Patriot, a fearless pioneer, and an athlete, having been six feet in height, well-proportioned. His company formed a part of the famous regiment of Colonel Marinus Willett. He participated in the battle of Oriskany, fought at Sharon and battle of Johnstown. Captain Gros was a member of the assembly in 1806-07.

Rev. Johan Daniel Gros, brother of Captain Lawrence Gros, came to America in 1764. In 1786 he was appointed Professor of Moral Philosophy, Geography and Chronology in Columbia College. He served as minister of the German Reformed Church in the city of New York, was the author of a work on Moral Philosophy, served as chaplain of the levies for the defense of the frontier of the state of New York appointed by the council held at Kingston in 1780, and was an extensive land owner. He was pastor of the Reformed Dutch Church on Sand Hill, now Fort Main at the time the church was burned by the enemy at their invasion under Brant.

Go to top of page | previous family: Lefevre | next family: Carpenter

You are here: Home » Families » HMGFM Home » Dunn

http://www.schenectadyhistory.org/families/hmgfm/dunn.html updated July 30, 2009

Copyright 2009 Schenectady Digital History Archive — a service of the Schenectady County Public Library